[net.followup] Obnoxious USENET Advertiser

ins_apmj@jhunix.UUCP (Patrick M Juola) (11/21/85)

In article <1212@jhunix.UUCP> ins_ajsk@jhunix.UUCP (Jonathan Simon Kay) writes:
>Look what *I* found on net.general:
>
>>The purpose of this letter is to introduce you to CONCURRENT Computer
>>Corporation.
  [Massive deletion here; I see no reason to give this ^&#%^ free ads]
>>For additional information about CONCURRENT, please call us directly or
>>contact your local sales office.
>>
>>				Sincerely,
>>				James K. Sims
>>				President And CEO
>>				CONCURRENT Computer Corporation
>
>While we have been busy condemning everybody else for such vile practices
>as posting shareware, flaming, and non-optimization of mail paths, someone
>has crept into our midst and posted what is without a doubt the most
>flagrant violation of netiquette I have seen in my short tenure as a
>USENETter: a posting of an out-and-out ad to net.general.  Well, what
>shall we do?  I have already sent him some interesting reading (I restricted
>myself from sending as much as I would have like to send, in the name of
>keeping the associated phone bill below $1000 :-)... ).  This is, according
>to the USENET primer, serious enough to warrant cutting CONCURRENT's news
>feed.  Any comments?
>
>                                                  Jonathan Kay
	Bravo, Jonathan -- I agree completely (100%) with you.  Net.fascists,
:-), this would appear to be your puppy, as all I can do is mail this article
to CONCURRENT every hour on the hour, which would run up expenses and useless
traffic.
						Pat Juola
						Johns Hopkins Univ,
						Dept of Maths