[gnu.utils.bug] Can't make 'make' without directory routines - need help

kevin@kosman.UUCP (Kevin O'Gorman) (05/11/89)

I just got the latest 'make' sources and tried to make them with gcc 1.35
on my 3b1.  First, I found I needed to get ndir.h from the emacs sources
(how annoying! -- can't they make these things complete?).  I had that,
so I fiddled with archive tapes for a while, and tried again.

Now, the link step for make.new fails because I don't have readdir() and
its brothers.  I have no idea where to get these.  In emacs, they come
from sysdep.c, but that file won't compile in the make directory, and
its .o file won't load because of symbol conflicts.

I'm pretty sure I have the complete make sources, but I could use some
help from anyone who has made this thing in a stock SYSV system.

denny@mcmi.UUCP (Denny Page) (05/16/89)

kevin@kosman.UUCP (Kevin O'Gorman) writes:
>I just got the latest 'make' sources and tried to make them with gcc 1.35
>on my 3b1.  First, I found I needed to get ndir.h from the emacs sources
>(how annoying! -- can't they make these things complete?).

Why distribute 16,000 copies of code that most people already have?
If you don't have it, get it from the archives.  Gwyn's is PD.  If you
can't do that, strip the one out of emacs. -- it shouldn't be hard.

>I'm pretty sure I have the complete make sources, but I could use some
>help from anyone who has made this thing in a stock SYSV system.

We have several "stock" sysV systems here... I don't count our 3b1
among the list :-).  The stockiest (:-) system that we have, 3.1 on
a 3B2/600, has these routines in libc.a.
--
Someday never comes

In article <1050@mcmi.UUCP> denny@mcmi.UUCP (Denny Page) writes:

   kevin@kosman.UUCP (Kevin O'Gorman) writes:
   >... I found I needed to get ndir.h from the emacs sources
   >(how annoying! -- can't they make these things complete?).

   Why distribute 16,000 copies of code that most people already have?
   If you don't have it, get it from the archives.  Gwyn's is PD.  If you
   can't do that, strip the one out of emacs. -- it shouldn't be hard.

*The* real solution (okay, *A* real solution) is to have a known source
tree for FSF products, so that authors can #include "../emacs/include/ndir.h",
or wherever it's actually stored.  Even if they don't have the sources to
everything online, at least they have a clue as to where it's to be found.
--
--russ (nelson@clutx [.bitnet | .clarkson.edu])
I'm a right-to-lifer -- everyone has a right to earn a living sufficient to