[net.auto] Spoofing traffic signals

parnass@ihu1h.UUCP (Bob Parnass, AJ9S) (05/10/86)

		    Spoofing Traffic Lights

   Here's the scenario:

     I'm stopped at an intersection, waiting for  the  light
     to	 turn green. No	one else is around.  The light seems
     to	be red for an eternity,	but there's no traffic.

   I back my truck up a	few feet, off the sensor loop buried
   in  the  roadway,  then  drive  back	 over the loop a few
   times.  This	will usually cause  the	 traffic  signal  to
   become green.
Bob Parnass,  Bell Telephone Laboratories - ihnp4!ihu1h!parnass - (312)979-5414

jimb@drutx.UUCP (Jim Bryant) (05/10/86)

In article <840@ihu1h.UUCP> parnass@ihu1h.UUCP writes:
>    Here's the scenario:
>    I'm stopped at an intersection, waiting for  the  light
>    to turn green. No one else is around.  The light seems
>    to be red for an eternity, but there's no traffic.
>    I back my truck up a few feet, off the sensor loop buried
>    in  the  roadway,  then  drive  back  over the loop a few
>    times.  This will usually cause  the  traffic  signal  to
>    become green.

if there's no traffic, i just go on through :-)

at&t information systems/denver colorado/jim bryant - k6
...!{ihnp4,ulysses,mtuxo,pegasus,whuxl}!drutx!jimb
--
le mieux est souvent l'ennemi du bien

jawa@ihuxl.UUCP (James A. Wadas) (05/12/86)

> 		    Spoofing Traffic Lights
>
>    Here's the scenario:
>
>      I'm stopped at an intersection, waiting for  the  light
>      to	 turn green. No	one else is around.  The light seems
>      to	be red for an eternity,	but there's no traffic.
>
>    I back my truck up a	few feet, off the sensor loop buried
>    in  the  roadway,  then  drive  back	 over the loop a few
>    times.  This	will usually cause  the	 traffic  signal  to
>    become green.
> --
> Bob Parnass,  Bell Telephone Laboratories - ihnp4!ihu1h!parnass - (312)979-5414

Photovoltaic cells sometimes react when you "flash your brights"
on an upcoming traffic signal so equipped.  Deserted intersections
at twilight provide the best conditions for this phenomenon.
--
James Wadas @ AT&T Bell Laboratories -- Naperville, Illinois
(312) 979-0240 ...!ihnp4!ihuxl!jawa

john@anasazi.UUCP (John Moore) (05/14/86)

In article <840@ihu1h.UUCP> parnass@ihu1h.UUCP (Bob Parnass, AJ9S) writes:
>		    Spoofing Traffic Lights
>
>   Here's the scenario:
>
>     I'm stopped at an intersection, waiting for  the  light
>     to	 turn green. No	one else is around.  The light seems
>     to	be red for an eternity,	but there's no traffic.
>
>   I back my truck up a	few feet, off the sensor loop buried
>   in  the  roadway,  then  drive  back	 over the loop a few
>   times.  This	will usually cause  the	 traffic  signal  to
>   become green.
I use this trick all the time. It works most of the time - especially
in a left turn lane. I think it is technically illegal to back
up in a traffic lane, however.
--
John Moore (NJ7E/XE1HDO)
{decvax|ihnp4|hao}!noao!terak!anasazi!john

The opinions expressed here are obviously not mine, so they must be
someone else's.

cem@intelca.UUCP (Chuck McManis) (05/15/86)

> Photovoltaic cells sometimes react when you "flash your brights"
> on an upcoming traffic signal so equipped.  Deserted intersections
> at twilight provide the best conditions for this phenomenon.
> James Wadas @ AT&T Bell Laboratories -- Naperville, Illinois

Yes and some have photovoltaics "tuned" to the stroboscopic frequency
of emergency vehicles. This allows the light in front of a fire truck
to change for it, thus speeding up response time.

--Chuck
--
                                            - - - D I S C L A I M E R - - -
{ihnp4,fortune}!dual\                     All opinions expressed herein are my