[net.auto] Drunk Driving

laura@hoptoad.uucp (Laura Creighton) (08/01/86)

All you need to do is equip cars with a keypad.  Then, before you can
get your engine to turn over, have to type a random 14 digit number.
Actually, I want a full keyboard so that I can have a map database
in my car, never get lost, and use ascii access it.

As long as I don't drive and play hack at the same time...:-)
--
Laura Creighton
ihnp4!hoptoad!laura  utzoo!hoptoad!laura  sun!hoptoad!laura

kubic@reed.UUCP (Jan Kubic) (08/02/86)

Ralph Nader and his gang tried to do something similar to the "keypad to
start" idea.  They had a federal statute passed to make car
manufacturers install ignition cut-offs in the seat belt circuitry.  If
you were not buckled in, the engine would not start.  This law was
soon striken from the books when some women was assualted, raped, and
beaten and was unable to escape because her car would not start - silly
person, in all that hurry she forgot to buckle up!  Good luck with
trying to remember a *14 digit* number in that sort of situation!

Jan Kubic CFI-AIME

mathes@mcnc.UUCP (Thomas N. Mathes) (08/05/86)

In article <935@hoptoad.uucp> laura@hoptoad.UUCP (Laura Creighton) writes:
>All you need to do is equip cars with a keypad.  Then, before you can
>get your engine to turn over, have to type a random 14 digit number.
>Actually, I want a full keyboard so that I can have a map database
>in my car, never get lost, and use ascii access it.
>
>As long as I don't drive and play hack at the same time...:-)
GM tried a concept like this, in the early 70's.  A display would show
a 7 digit number, and if you failed 3 times in entering the correct sequence,
your car wouldn't start for 30 minutes.  The public didn't go for it
in their pre-marketing tests.

This little episode shows that American car makers are still ahead of
the rice-burner competition.  Their advantage is in manufacturing;
ours is getting better by leaps and bounds, though. A good friend
who worked for the GM corporate R & D center told me that they discarded
more ideas than the Japanese came up with.  Our problem, he said, is that
we don't take advantage of our own ingenuity.

(This is an anti-bean counter flame):
The only way that our manufacturing base can return is if we stop the
dominance of the bean-counter (read financial analyist or accountant)
in American manufacturing.  They preach the bottom line too much, and
don't give a damn about quality.  Only when we rid ourselves of these
types can we hope to be the number 1 economic power we once were.

And by the way, a great Yankee designed and built car can blow the doors
of ANY rice-burner.  And believe me, there are a lot of great American
cars out there.  One more thing, have you seen the prices of a new Toyota
Cressida?  I'd rather have a Caddy and save the difference!!  So much
for those *cheap-to-keep* cars.

FLAME-ON!!!

laura@hoptoad.uucp (Laura Creighton) (08/07/86)

You have to consider what is more likely -- getting raped, or getting
killed or injured by a drunk driver.   And also, what is worse.
Getting raped is nothing to joke about, but when you are dead you
are dead.  I know more than five times as many people who have
been involved in accidents with someone else who was drunk than
have been raped.  I've had one raped and murdered friend, but
three friends killed by drunk drivers.  What price are we paying
in dead and injured friends, not to mention insurance rates
and property damage in order to keep some people from being
raped and possibly murdered?  Is anyone keeping score?