[net.followup] Perkin-Elmer DSG is now CONCURRENT

tp@ndm20 (11/19/85)

This guy should have to pay an advertising fee  to every  site on the
network that transmitted his ad.  I am under  the distinct impression
that such commercial statements are greatly frowned upon.

ben@moncol.UUCP (Bennett Broder) (11/22/85)

>This guy should have to pay an advertising fee  to every  site on the
>network that transmitted his ad.  I am under  the distinct impression
>that such commercial statements are greatly frowned upon.

Come on folks.  This is really getting out of hand.  Read the posting
again.  It isn't an ad, it is a letter from the CEO at Perkin Elmer
directed to Perkin Elmer customers telling them that their hardware
vendor has changed its name and that the new company intends to honor
all current contracts.  Nothing more.  Oh sure, there are a few
remarks praising PE equipment, but these praises are clearly not the
intent of the letter.

I just don't understand the sense of outrage on the net.  I read
netnews daily; hardly a day goes by that I don't see a couple of
personal classified ads trying to sell automobiles and other such
effects.  If you want to stop advertising on the net, stop those
useless classifieds, not an important announcement like the Perkin
Elmer name change.

I wonder if the net would clamor if the announcement was made by AT&T
or IBM???...

Ben Broder

I have no connection with Perkin Elmer except as a satisfied customer.

avolio@decuac.UUCP (Frederick M. Avolio) (11/22/85)

In article <400006@ndm20>, tp@ndm20 writes:
> This guy should have to pay an advertising fee  to every  site on the
> network that transmitted his ad.

The letter was "markety." The news it conveyed was valid.  Let this be a
lesson -- before posting something which is newsy but might be construed
as advertising, run it by some other people on the net for their opinions.
--
Fred @ DEC Ultrix Applications Center    {decvax,seismo,cbosgd}!decuac!avolio