[net.auto] [nuns and racy] driving habits

mikes@tekecs.UUCP (Michael Sellers) (09/22/86)

> line eater food....
>
> Is it only my experiance or have others found the same thing
> that I have:
>
> It seems to me that christians, (or just some who pretend to be)
> can't drive very well. Very often the car that pulls out in
> front of me and causes me to slam on my brakes, will have a sticker
> proudly proclaiming something like "God is my Co-piolt".
> Or "Born again Christian at wheel".
>
> Does anyone else notice this?

It's been my experience that by far the worst drivers on the road are
people who make wild generalizations in conversation.  *ALL* people who
are apt to say that there is a causal relation between religious/soft
drink preference and driving/typing proficiency are clearly and obviously
the real dangers on the road/net.  Also men who post to net.women.
I thought everyone knew this stuff.  Isn't it net.announce anymore?

What's that?  Oh right, I almost forgot:

:-):-):-):-):-):-):-):-):-):-):-):-):-):-):-):-):-):-):-):-):-):-):-):-):-)
(-:(-:(-:(-:(-:(-:(-:(-:(-:(-:(-:(-:(-:(-:(-:(-:(-:(-:(-:(-:(-:(-:(-:(-:(-:

Seriously, I did see (and give wide berth to) a panel truck with a yellow
diamond-shaped sign in the back that said...

				   /\
			         /    \
	                       /        \
			     /  CAUTION:  \
			   <   ICE CREAM    >
			     \	ON BOARD  /
	                       \        /
	                         \    /
				   \/

--

		Mike Sellers
	UUCP: {...your spinal column here...}!tektronix!tekecs!mikes

	   INNING:  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  TOTAL
	IDEALISTS   0  0  0  0  0  0  0  0  0    1
	 REALISTS   1  1  0  4  3  1  2  0  2    0

daveh@cbmvax.cbm.UUCP (Dave Haynie) (09/23/86)

> line eater food....
>
> Is it only my experiance or have others found the same thing
> that I have:
>
> It seems to me that christians, (or just some who pretend to be)
> can't drive very well. Very often the car that pulls out in
> front of me and causes me to slam on my brakes, will have a sticker
> proudly proclaiming something like "God is my Co-piolt".
> Or "Born again Christian at wheel".
>
> Does anyone else notice this?

I don't know if I'd generalize to that degree.  But my oldest sister went
through a B-A-C phase, and at the same time seemed to loose her driving
abilities.  I think anyone that honestly believes that "God is my Co-Pilot"
is bound to be a road hazard.  Hey, whey bother driving carefully?  With
the "big guy" helping me out, I couldn't possibly get into any trouble.
They'd do lots better with "Intelligence and quick reflexes are used by
the pilot, well maintained mechanicals are the co-pilot".  Or something like
that.

--
/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Dave Haynie    {caip,ihnp4,allegra,seismo}!cbmvax!daveh

	"I gained nothing at all from Supreme Enlightenment, and
	 for that very reason it is called Supreme Enlightenment."
							-Gotama Buddha

	These opinions are my own, though for a small fee they be yours too.
\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

spw2562@ritcv.UUCP (09/24/86)

>> It seems to me that christians, (or just some who pretend to be)
>> can't drive very well. Very often the car that pulls out in
>> front of me and causes me to slam on my brakes, will have a sticker
>> proudly proclaiming something like "God is my Co-piolt".
>> Or "Born again Christian at wheel".
>I don't know if I'd generalize to that degree.  But my oldest sister went
>through a B-A-C phase, and at the same time seemed to loose her driving
>abilities.  I think anyone that honestly believes that "God is my Co-Pilot"
>is bound to be a road hazard.  Hey, whey bother driving carefully?  With
>the "big guy" helping me out, I couldn't possibly get into any trouble.

Alright, enough of this.  If you actually think this stuff, try this.
Count all the bad drivers on the road with these kind of bumper stickers.
Then count all the bad drivers without them.  Then count all driver on the
road with/without them.  Now figure out the percentage of bad drivers in
group, and I'm sure you'll find that they're most likely about equal.
It's just that you happen to notice cars with bumper stickers more than
cars without.  Incidentally, you'll never (ok, hardly ever) find me
pulling out in front of you and making you slam on your brakes.  I
very much dislike having that happen to me.

BTW, not that anyone really cares, but if it was a "phase" your sister
went through, then she was most likely never a B-A-C in the first place.
And the reasoning about "The Big Guy watching out for me" is rubbish.
It should be something like "I'm supposed to be a Christian, so I ought
to drive responsibly."  God may well let you kill yourself in a car
crash if it saves other people's lives.
you and making

       "Forever eyes, Forever eyes,
        They will never tell you lies,
	Forever eyes, You don't to compromise,
	When you have forever eyes.."
			  - Twila Paris

        Steve Wall  @  Rochester Institute of Technology
        UUCP: ..{allegra|seismo}!rochester!ritcv!spw2562   Unix 4.3 BSD
        BITNET: SPW2562@RITVAXC                            VAX/VMS 4.4

ronc@fai.UUCP (Ronald O. Christian) (09/24/86)

In article <766@cbmvax.cbmvax.cbm.UUCP> daveh@cbmvax.cbm.UUCP (Dave Haynie) writes:
>>[Christians tend to be bad drivers]
>
>I don't know if I'd generalize to that degree.  But my oldest sister went
>through a B-A-C phase, and at the same time seemed to loose her driving
>abilities.

I hate to generalize on issues like this, so I'll talk about people
I know.  Many members of my family are rather... religious... and the
most pious seem to be the worst drivers.  There's a fatalistic attitude
there, I think, that gets in the way.  You don't need to protect yourself
because God is protecting you.  In fact, a couple relitives are honestly
offended by the thought of driving defensively, because they consider
it as showing lack of faith.

I don't say everyone is like this, but I've seen it in my own family.

			Ron
		Ronald O. Christian (Fujitsu America Inc., San Jose, Calif.)
		seismo!amdahl!fai!ronc  -or-   ihnp4!pesnta!fai!ronc

Oliver's law of assumed responsibility:
	"If you are seen fixing it, you will be blamed for breaking it."