[net.auto] driving habits

byrnes@ge-dab.UUCP (Arthur J. Byrnes) (09/17/86)

line eater food....

Is it only my experiance or have others found the same thing
that I have:

It seems to me that christians, (or just some who pretend to be)
can't drive very well. Very often the car that pulls out in
front of me and causes me to slam on my brakes, will have a sticker
proudly proclaiming something like "God is my Co-piolt".
Or "Born again Christian at wheel".

Does anyone else notice this?

These opinions are my own.........

barry@mit-eddie.MIT.EDU (Mikki Barry) (09/19/86)

In article <360@ge-dab.UUCP> byrnes@ge-dab.UUCP (Arthur J. Byrnes) writes:
>line eater food....

You don't need that anymore.  The line eater has ascended

>It seems to me that christians, (or just some who pretend to be)
>can't drive very well. Very often the car that pulls out in
>front of me and causes me to slam on my brakes, will have a sticker
>proudly proclaiming something like "God is my Co-piolt".
>Or "Born again Christian at wheel".

>Does anyone else notice this?

It has been my experience that "Baby on Board!" and "Child on Board!"
stickers make for far more dangerous drivers than the christian
stickers do.  Just today a "baby on board" type with the baby crawling
between the front and back seats, up into the back windshield, and back
pulled out in front of me on a highway when I was doing the speed limit
of 55.  She was doing about 20 when she pulled out.  I almost rear ended
her and the baby we are all supposed to make special allowance for nearly
became road pizza.

Most of the chrisitan stickers I have seen have been on cars of old people
(remember, these are the ones I have personally seen.  No flames, ok?)
who are usually far worse drivers anyway.

Besides.  If they really believe they are going to a better life than this
when they die, why not drive bad?  Might speed up the getting there :-)

JUST KIDDING, OK?

Mikki Barry
HASA - remedial driving division.
"If you never follow anyone, you'll never be misled"

russ@ihuxf.UUCP (Russell Spence) (09/21/86)

> Is it only my experiance or have others found the same thing
> that I have:
>
> It seems to me that christians, (or just some who pretend to be)
> can't drive very well. Very often the car that pulls out in
> front of me and causes me to slam on my brakes, will have a sticker
> proudly proclaiming something like "God is my Co-piolt".
> Or "Born again Christian at wheel".
>
> Does anyone else notice this?

	I especially like the ones I used to see in southern Oklahoma
	in the heart of the bible-belt.  The ones that say something
	like

		WARNING! This car will become driverless
			during the Rapture!

	I know that I always try to keep at a safe distance  from
	these cars :->.

ronc@fai.UUCP (Ronald O. Christian) (09/22/86)

In article <360@ge-dab.UUCP> byrnes@ge-dab.UUCP (Arthur J. Byrnes) writes:
>It seems to me that christians, (or just some who pretend to be)
>can't drive very well.

Now wait one cotton pickin' minute...

Oh, *those* kind.  Never mind.
		Ronald O. Christian (Fujitsu America Inc., San Jose, Calif.)
		seismo!amdahl!fai!ronc  -or-   ihnp4!pesnta!fai!ronc

Oliver's law of assumed responsibility:
	"If you are seen fixing it, you will be blamed for breaking it."

gtaylor@astroatc.UUCP (Noh Pindmietrs) (09/23/86)

In article <360@ge-dab.UUCP> byrnes@ge-dab.UUCP (Arthur J. Byrnes) writes:
>Is it only my experiance or have others found the same thing
>that I have:
>It seems to me that christians, (or just some who pretend to be)
>can't drive very well. Very often the car that pulls out in
>front of me and causes me to slam on my brakes, will have a sticker
>proudly proclaiming something like "God is my Co-piolt".
>Or "Born again Christian at wheel".

It's only your experience, Arthur. Perhaps you could, if pressed,
come up with a neato reason why that would occupy us for weeks to
come. As everyone here knows, Christians are bad at nearly everything
except trying to take control of the government, right?

If the smiley or the wink necessary?

How come so many fatal traffic accident photos I see clearly show
copies of women's magazines on the auto seats? And now that I think
of it, lots of women pull out in front of me in traffic. About half
of the people who pull out in front of me in traffic are women, in
fact. I guess that there is a such thing as a "woman driver", huh? ;-)
--
"Once I was young/Once I was smart/Now I'm living on the edge of my nerves."
Gregory Taylor (....uwvax!astroatc!gtaylor) Astronautics, Madison, WI

dmcanzi@watdcsu.UUCP (David Canzi) (09/25/86)

In article <3275@mit-eddie.MIT.EDU> barry@mit-eddie.UUCP (Mikki Barry) writes:
>Besides.  If they really believe they are going to a better life than this
>when they die, why not drive bad?  Might speed up the getting there :-)
>
>JUST KIDDING, OK?

File this under "anecdotal evidence".  When I was in high-school, I
once went with a friend and several schoolmates to a prayer meeting
that was held by a local businessman, in his home just out of town, on
a highway.  The ride back, with a carload of born-again Christians, was
one of the most interesting rides of my life, with, ah, considerable
potential to be my last.  One of my carmates said "What do we care, we
*know* where we're going to go."

But then, these were teenagers.  Perhaps born-again teenagers grow up
(*if* they survive long enough) to be born-again adults and develop
saner driving habits.
--
David Canzi

daveh@cbmvax.cbm.UUCP (Dave Haynie) (09/25/86)

> How come so many fatal traffic accident photos I see clearly show
> copies of women's magazines on the auto seats? And now that I think
> of it, lots of women pull out in front of me in traffic. About half
> of the people who pull out in front of me in traffic are women, in
> fact. I guess that there is a such thing as a "woman driver", huh? ;-)

These are obviously Christian women.  The reason that you see more women
than men driving like this is that women are increasingly outnumbering
men as active, practicing members of most Christian sects, at least in
the US today.

> --
> "Once I was young/Once I was smart/Now I'm living on the edge of my nerves."
> Gregory Taylor (....uwvax!astroatc!gtaylor) Astronautics, Madison, WI
Dave Haynie    {caip,ihnp4,allegra,seismo}!cbmvax!daveh

	These opinions are my own, though if you try them out, and decide
	that you really like them, a small donation would be appreciated.