[net.auto] Christians mostly women

credmond@watmath.UUCP (Chris Redmond) (09/28/86)

In article <784@cbmvax.cbmvax.cbm.UUCP> daveh@cbmvax.cbm.UUCP (Dave Haynie) writes:
>These are obviously Christian women.  The reason that you see more women
>than men driving like this is that women are increasingly outnumbering
>men as active, practicing members of most Christian sects, at least in
>the US today.

Good grief.  Leaving aside the question of driving habits (which is
where this exchange started), let me point out that Christianity has
ALWAYS been a female-dominated religion.  Rather odd, when you think
what certain branches of so-called Christianity have done to women,
but it's true: virtually all churches in virtually all centuries have
been full of women worshippers while the men went elsewhere or stayed
home.

Some interesting speculations might be made (and probably have been)
about the emotional appeal that Christianity has had for women.  One
suggestion I heard recently was that for many, many women, God "the
Father" has been the ONLY reliable, loving male figure in their lives.
No wonder that so much of the resistance to "liberation language" and
female images for God now comes from women, especially older women!

Disclaimer: I am a Christian and a male.

daveh@cbmvax.cbm.UUCP (Dave Haynie) (09/30/86)

> In article <784@cbmvax.cbmvax.cbm.UUCP> daveh@cbmvax.cbm.UUCP (Dave Haynie) writes:
>>The reason that you see more women than men driving like this is that women
>>are increasingly outnumbering men as active, practicing members of most
>>Christian sects, at least in the US today.
>
> Good grief.  Leaving aside the question of driving habits (which is
> where this exchange started), let me point out that Christianity has
> ALWAYS been a female-dominated religion.  Rather odd, when you think
> what certain branches of so-called Christianity have done to women,
> but it's true: virtually all churches in virtually all centuries have
> been full of women worshippers while the men went elsewhere or stayed
> home.
>
> Some interesting speculations might be made (and probably have been)
> about the emotional appeal that Christianity has had for women.  One
> suggestion I heard recently was that for many, many women, God "the
> Father" has been the ONLY reliable, loving male figure in their lives.
> No wonder that so much of the resistance to "liberation language" and
> female images for God now comes from women, especially older women!
>
> Disclaimer: I am a Christian and a male.

That's a good point.  I thought that Christianity had a history of
attracting more women, but I KNEW that this was so in the US in recent
times.  Part of the attraction is probably as you say.  Though overall,
the "traditional" role (circa 1950's and prior) of women in the US
society, as well as many European societies, has left them with very few
activities outside the home, other than the Church.  Women have been openly
accepted into many versions of the religion, even if in a second class
role (which is enforced by the religion, thus keeping them in that role
regardless of their relative number).
Dave Haynie    {caip,ihnp4,allegra,seismo}!cbmvax!daveh

	These opinions are my own, though if you try them out, and decide
	that you really like them, a small donation would be appreciated.