[gnu.utils.bug] gawk's exit # statement doesn't work

meyering@CS.UTEXAS.EDU (Jim Meyering) (02/02/90)

Gawk exits with a zero `status' even with statements like "exit 1"

Jim Meyering      meyering@cs.utexas.edu

david@cs.dal.ca (David Trueman) (02/02/90)

> Gawk exits with a zero `status' even with statements like "exit 1"
>
> > ai% gawk -V '{exit 2}' < /dev/null
> > Gnu Awk (gawk) 2.11, patchlevel 1
> > ai% echo $status
> > 0
> > ai%
>
> Jim Meyering      meyering@cs.utexas.edu

In this case, since no input records are read, the action is never
executed and thus the exit status is not set.  Giving the
program some input will set the exit status, as will the program:

BEGIN { exit 2 }

or

END { exit 2 }

arnold@audiofax.com (Arnold Robbins) (02/03/90)

In article <9002011730.AA25762@ai.cs.utexas.edu> meyering@CS.UTEXAS.EDU (Jim Meyering) writes:
>Gawk exits with a zero `status' even with statements like "exit 1"
>> ai% gawk -V '{exit 2}' < /dev/null
>> Gnu Awk (gawk) 2.11, patchlevel 1
>> ai% echo $status
>> 0
>> ai%
>Jim Meyering      meyering@cs.utexas.edu

Not so.  This statement is *never* executed, as EOF happens right away.
If you type

	echo hi | gawk '{exit 2}'

then it will indeed exit with a status of 2.  I just checked.
--
Arnold Robbins -- Senior Research Scientist - AudioFAX | Laundry increases
2000 Powers Ferry Road, #220 / Marietta, GA. 30067     | exponentially in the

demon@ibmpcug.co.uk (Cliff Stanford) (02/03/90)

In article <200@audfax.audiofax.com> arnold@audiofax.com (Arnold Robbins) writes:
> If you type
>
> 	echo hi | gawk '{exit 2}'
>
> then it will indeed exit with a status of 2.  I just checked.

Just tried it under MsDos --- Works fine there too!

--
Automatic Disclaimer:
The views expressed above are those of the author alone and may not

meyering@CS.UTEXAS.EDU (Jim Meyering) (02/05/90)

Thanks,
Jim