[net.followup] literacy

snoopy@ecrcvax.UUCP (Sebastian Schmitz) (10/16/85)

I fully agree with you, bc. The one that really gets me is

'kernal'. It should of course be 'kernEl'.
--
  Love,
  Sebastian (Snoopy)

"You haven't done it, till you've done it with pointers"

\!mcvax\!unido\!ecrcvax\!snoopy /* N.B. valid csh address */

bjorns@kuling.UUCP (Bjorn Sjoholm) (10/17/85)

In article <747@cyb-eng.UUCP> bc@cyb-eng.UUCP (Bill Crews) writes:
>There are many more, of course.  I really don't want to read about
>anyone else's compatAbility problems.  Of course, I will, anyway.  I
>would enjoy informative followups to this, because every time misspellings
>and language abuses cross the net, many people are led to believe such
>usages are correct!  It feeds upon itself.

	I think think that what 'bc' says makes a lot of sense!

	BUT, you have to remember that many (most?) people on
	the net, does not have english as their everyday language.

	I, myself, don't have too much trouble with english,
	(I think!) since I have lived in the US for a year.
--

Bjorn Sjoholm, Computer Science, University of Uppsala, Sweden

uucp: bjorns@kuling.UUCP (...!{seismo,mcvax}!enea!kuling!bjorns)

jim@randvax.UUCP (Jim Gillogly) (10/18/85)

I just love it when people send spelling and grammar kvetches.  That gives
us all a chance to peer at them with a fine-toothed eyeball (oops, mixed
metaphor) and rend them asunder without risking much of ourselves.  The
case in point:

In article <747@cyb-eng.UUCP> bc@cyb-eng.UUCP (Bill Crews) writes:
>Postings to the net routinely contain typographical errors.  Most of my
>postings are done via vi, but sometimes it is direct, and it is hard to
					 ^^^^^
				      blew the agreement.  "they are"

>correct something typed "up there".  Reading these typos is integral to
>reading net news.
>
>However, many of the misspellings are repeated consistently, and seem to
>be actual misspellings, however surprising that may be, given the average
>education level of net posters.  This is not to flame, but to inform the
 ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Well, I may be cheating here, but this looks like an assumption of an
unsubstantiated pseudo-fact.  For one thing, I don't know what the average
education level of net posters is; and for another I don't know whether
those who post creative spellings and grammatical gaucheries are at the
average education level of net posters, many of whom seem to use their
language (usually English, Dutch, or Esperanto) fluently.

That was reaching a little, and I agreed with the rest of the message anyway,
so I'll quit while (if?) I'm ahead... after I proofread this one twice more.
--
	Jim Gillogly
	{decvax, vortex}!randvax!jim

abbajay@oracle.UUCP (Dave Abbajay) (10/19/85)

In article <747@cyb-eng.UUCP>, bc@cyb-eng.UUCP (Bill Crews) writes:
> Postings to the net routinely contain typographical errors.  Most of my
> postings are done via vi, but sometimes it is direct, and it is hard to
> correct something typed "up there".  Reading these typos is integral to
> reading net news.
>
> However, many of the misspellings are repeated consistently, and seem to
> be actual misspellings, however surprising that may be, given the average
> education level of net posters.  This is not to flame, but to inform the
> net of the spelling of some words commonly misspelled on the net.
>
> 	Wrong			Right
>
> 	compatable		compatible
> 	psuedo-			pseudo-
> 	seperate		separate
> 	wierd			weird
> 	recieve			receive

[OMITTED TEXT]
> 	- bc -

If Bill could use all 5 words in a single sentence, we'd all be much
happier.

Hey, I CAN'T spell, that's why I became a 'C' programmer!

Dave Abbajay
Senior Technical Staff
ORACLE Corporation
(415)854-7350

bc@cyb-eng.UUCP (Bill Crews) (10/21/85)

> 	I think think that what 'bc' says makes a lot of sense!
>
> 	BUT, you have to remember that many (most?) people on
> 	the net, does not have english as their everyday language.
>
> Bjorn Sjoholm, Computer Science, University of Uppsala, Sweden

1.	I think the major perpetrators (sp?) of these acts are good ol'
	Americans.

2.	Spelling is a nit, but it is easy to point out and, thus, to correct,
	and it is simply basic literacy -- not anything that should really
	be a significant issue.

3.	Other language abuses are just as frequent and confusing, if not
	bothersome, but I didn't want my "hit" on the net to be too big.

4.	I would hope English-as-a-second-language types spell better in their
	native languages than do Americans in theirs.

5.	My primary point was to point out that a lot of people read this
	stuff, and people have a tendency to model their writings and speech
	after (get this) that to which they are used.  So it is a minor, but
	present, duty to provide a correct presentation to the net.

I wish the literacy of the average American were as high as that of the
average European.  It may be, but I doubt it.
--
	- bc -

..!{seismo,topaz,gatech,nbires,ihnp4}!ut-sally!cyb-eng!bc  (512) 835-2266

stephen@datacube.UUCP (10/21/85)

>Postings to the net routinely contain typographical errors.  Most of my
>..!{seismo,topaz,gatech,nbires,ihnp4}!ut-sally!cyb-eng!bc  (512) 835-2266

I agree. My particular choice is "mnemonic" misspelled as "pneumonic". Even
worse, I hear it pronounced "noo-monic" instead of "nee-monic".

Stephen Watkins                    UUCP: ihnp4!datacube!stephen
Datacube Inc.; 4 Dearborn Rd.; Peabody, Ma. 01960; 617-535-6644

sra@oddjob.UUCP (Scott R. Anderson) (10/23/85)

In article <117@oracle.UUCP> abbajay@oracle.UUCP (Dave Abbajay) writes:

>Hey, I CAN'T spell, that's why I became a 'C' programmer!

Can you spell `C'?

				Scott Anderson
				ihnp4!oddjob!kaos!sra

galenr@iddic.UUCP (Galen Redfield) (10/25/85)

In article <1900005@datacube.UUCP> stephen@datacube.UUCP writes:

>>Postings to the net routinely contain typographical errors.  Most of my
>>...  (etc.)
>
>I agree. My particular choice is "mnemonic" misspelled as "pneumonic". Even
>worse, I hear it pronounced "noo-monic" instead of "nee-monic".
          ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^                         ^^^^^^^^^
>Stephen Watkins                    UUCP: ihnp4!datacube!stephen
>Datacube Inc.; 4 Dearborn Rd.; Peabody, Ma. 01960; 617-535-6644

I agree!!  Boy, I sure hate  it  when  I  hear  words  pronounced
incorrectly on the net, too!   ;-)

You  may  not  be likely to hear it pronounced "nee-monic", since
the  correct  (most  dictionaries)  pronunciation  is  more  like
"nimmonic" (short "i" sound, not long "e", but it should probably
be a short "e" sound).  In the long run,  a  word  is  pronounced
however  most  people  say it, and scholars try to determine just
what that is, and finally whether to adopt that pronunciation.
      (So,  tell me something I don't know, right?)

Say,  how  can  you tell whether "they" pronounced the wrong word
correctly, or the correct word  incorrectly??   Perhaps  if  they
tried  some  mnemonics (not the computer opcode kind), they could
remember how to pronounce the correct  word  correctly!   On  the
other hand, speaking is somewhat pneumonic, since it involves the
use of lungs (and other things, sometimes including the brain).

Here  are  a few more boo-boo's I've noticed, which have bothered
me when I was in a botherable mood....

* "rather" instead of "whether" as in, "Ask her rather or not she
   went to the review meeting."

* "doing" instead of "during"  as  in,  "We would like to stop by
   for a short tour of your plant some time doing the week."

* "dampened" instead of "damped" as in, "It looks to me like that
   system is overdampened."  (Does this mean it's all wet?)

* "orthagonal" instead of "orthogonal"  (the former is not a real
   word, as far as I know, but sounds like it comes from "agony")

I  wish  I  could  remember  more  of  them.  They sometimes seem
humorous, especially when one can sense an innocent ignorance  in
the  person  making  these errors.  Or, it can become aggravating
when repeated excessively.  To  forgive  is  devine,  but  nearly
impossible at times.

    Some people just ain't as literate as we is, is  they?

Warm regards,
Galen.

In article <747@cyb-eng.UUCP> bc@cyb-eng.UUCP (Bill Crews) writes:
>Remember, "i before e except after c" however wEIrd that may look.
and, when sounded as 'A', as in "neighbor" and "weigh".  (For our
British compatriots, that is indeed "neighbour" -- see the 'u'?	;-))
--

	Joe Yao		hadron!jsdy@seismo.{CSS.GOV,ARPA,UUCP}

perl@rdin.UUCP (Robert Perlberg) (10/25/85)

>I agree. My particular choice is "mnemonic" misspelled as "pneumonic". Even
>worse, I hear it pronounced "noo-monic" instead of "nee-monic".
>

>Stephen Watkins                    UUCP: ihnp4!datacube!stephen
>Datacube Inc.; 4 Dearborn Rd.; Peabody, Ma. 01960; 617-535-6644

There used to be a company that made (lousy) digitizers named
"Numonics"!

Robert Perlberg
Resource Dynamics Inc.
New York
{philabs|delftcc}!rdin!perl

kay@warwick.UUCP (Kay Dekker) (10/26/85)

In article <1900005@datacube.UUCP> stephen@datacube.UUCP writes:
>I agree. My particular choice is "mnemonic" misspelled as "pneumonic". Even
>worse, I hear it pronounced "noo-monic" instead of "nee-monic".

Wonderful!  Unfortunately, I've never seen this misspelling: however, it
does conjure up some wonderful ideas...  mnemonic plague, mnematic tyres,
etc.
								Kay.
--
"The only good thing that I can find to say about the idea of colonies
in space is that America could, at last, have a world to herself."

mcewan@uiucdcs.CS.UIUC.EDU (10/27/85)

The two(2) that really bug me are "to" instead of "too" or "two", and
"loose" where "lose" is intended. It seems I see the wrong words much
more often then I see the right ones used on the net.

			Scott McEwan
			{ihnp4,pur-ee}!uiucdcs!mcewan

"Analysis, Spock?"
"Very bad poetry, sir."

dbmk1@stc.UUCP (10/28/85)

In article <2340@flame.warwick.UUCP> kay@warwick.UUCP (Kay Dekker) writes:
>"The only good thing that I can find to say about the idea of colonies
>in space is that America could, at last, have a world to herself."
>						-- Elisabeth Zyne

But they already have - ask any US netter.

--

Regards
  Derek

!seismo!mcvax!ukc!stc!dbmk1

I've heard that re-incarnation is making a come-back.

andrew@stc.UUCP (10/28/85)

In article <2260@iddic.UUCP> galenr@iddic.UUCP (Galen Redfield) writes:
>In article <1900005@datacube.UUCP> stephen@datacube.UUCP writes:
>>
>>I agree. My particular choice is "mnemonic" misspelled as "pneumonic". Even
>>worse, I hear it pronounced "noo-monic" instead of "nee-monic".
>
>I agree!!  Boy, I sure hate  it  when  I  hear  words  pronounced
>incorrectly on the net, too!   ;-)

Speaking of bad pronounciation, I find it exceedingly irritating when
a news-reader says: ( mis-spelled to indicate pronounciation )

	seketry		as in "The Seketry of State"
	Febry		as in "this Febry was the coldest on record"
	Libray	(same complaint really)

	Another complaint is subject to regional variation, here in
	the south east of england ( a generalisation I KNOW that there
	is a lot of variation) they say:

	wenzda-

	whereas in the rest of the British isles one will hear the `d'

	as in wednzda-

	A lot of this is now vanishing (thank you BBC), but it is annoying
	when local peculiarities are broadcast as ``standard english''.

--
Regards,
	Andrew Macpherson.	<andrew@stc.UUCP>

hobs@ihu1n.UUCP (John A. Hobson) (10/28/85)

The one that really bugs me is "alot" spelled as one word.  It is
TWO (2) words: "a lot".  There is a word "allot", which means to
portion out.
--
John Hobson
AT&T Bell Labs

ronse@prlb2.UUCP (Ronse) (10/29/85)

Scott McEwan (mcewan@uiucdcs.CS.UIUC.EDU), in his message <9700105@uiucdcs>,

				    -----------------------------------
> more often then I see the right ones used on the net.
  ---------- ^^^^ ------------------------------------

Indeed. ;-}

dgary@ecsvax.UUCP (D Gary Grady) (10/30/85)

> The one that really bugs me is "alot" spelled as one word...
> -- John Hobson

Me too!  I also blow up over the misuse of "to comprise."  The Union
comprises 50 states, not the other way around.  I'll bite my tongue
about the mistreatment of "data" and "media" as sigulars.  Ghmnxxf...
--
D Gary Grady
Duke U Comp Center, Durham, NC  27706

hes@ecsvax.UUCP (Henry Schaffer) (10/30/85)

> The one that really bugs me is "alot" spelled as one word.  It is
> TWO (2) words: "a lot".  There is a word "allot" ...
> John Hobson

The one that really bugs me is that "alot" is not spelled as one
word (the way it is pronounced.)  If it were spelled as one word,
it would improve many people's spelling!
--henry schaffer  ncsu

In article <117@oracle.UUCP> abbajay@oracle.UUCP (Dave Abbajay) writes:
>In article <747@cyb-eng.UUCP>, bc@cyb-eng.UUCP (Bill Crews) writes:
>> 	Wrong			Right
>> 	compatable		compatible
>> 	psuedo-			pseudo-
>> 	seperate		separate
>> 	wierd			weird
>> 	recieve			receive
>If Bill could use all 5 words in a single sentence, we'd all be much
>happier.

The weird C programmer received a pseudo-compatible program in separate
modules ...	;-)
--

	Joe Yao		hadron!jsdy@seismo.{CSS.GOV,ARPA,UUCP}

sukenick@ccnysci.UUCP (10/31/85)

> ronse@prlb2.UUCP :
>>Scott McEwan :
>
>> The two(2) that really bug me are "to" instead of "too" or "two", and
>> "loose" where "lose" is intended. It seems I see the wrong words much
>				    -----------------------------------
>> more often then I see the right ones used on the net.
>  ---------- ^^^^ ------------------------------------
>
>Indeed. ;-}

Your absolutely correct!   :#)
^^^^
 ^ (Yuck!) :-*

 To those persons guilty of this horrendous crime, the correct usage is :
	"you're" or, even better, " you are ".  	   :-)

(Wow! If my english teacher could see me now! She would be proud!) :-]
		:-) :-)
( Was that two too many smilies to use? :-) )

		-GDS-

suze@terak.UUCP (Suzanne Barnett) (11/01/85)

> 	A lot of this is now vanishing (thank you BBC), but it is annoying
> 	when local peculiarities are broadcast as ``standard english''.

How bland if there were no different accents to a spoken language.
And who is to say that one is more correct than another?

Though I agree on actually mispronounced words. I was taught
that the proper way to pronounce a place or name is the same
as the inhabitants or the named person (or its owners', if its
an animal,) pronounces it.
--
Suzanne Barnett-Scott

uucp:	 ...{decvax,ihnp4,noao,savax,seismo}!terak!suze
phone:	 (602) 998-4800
us mail: CalComp/Sanders Display Products Division
	 (Formerly Terak Corporation)
	 14151 N 76th street, Scottsdale, AZ 85260

barryg@sdcrdcf.UUCP (Lee Gold) (11/02/85)

One non-literate strangeness I've run across was "anotherwards," which
several students used because they didn't know the phrase was "in other
words."

I'd also like to flame the pronunciation "nukular" instead of "nuclear."

Some of the most hysterical mispronunciations I've heard were in
commercials.  Like the one urging San Joaquin Valley listeners to drink
Florida orange juice (and pronouncing the place as Ho-a-keen).  Or the
commercial that assured that an airline knew all about Los Angeles
(pronounced Lows Anjeleez).

Then there's people who mix words from several different languages and
then mispronounce them.  Like the newscaster who talked about the head
honcho of the junta.

The weirdest pronunciation mixup I've had was the time in Boston I called
Information to get the phone number of Mark Swanson and was told, "I don't
have a Mark Swanson at that address.  I do have a Mock Swanson." Any
Bostonians reading this who can tell me how to spell the name that that
operator pronounced Mark. (Marc?  Marque?)

--Lee Gold

scott@cstvax.UUCP (Scott Larnach) (11/03/85)

Pipe your article through spell(1).

Now if anyone has anything to contribute *that isn't covered by the
above statement* I'd like to hear it.
--
Scott Larnach			Janet: scott@uk.ac.ed.cstvax
Edinburgh Unix Support		Arpa:  scott@cstvax.ed.ac.uk

tp@ndm20 (11/03/85)

>There used to be a company that made (lousy) digitizers named
>"Numonics"!

There still is. They also make plotters nowadays. The digitizers
aren't bad, but it takes some creative cabling to make them work
in tandem with the terminal, and there is no way to keep their
data off the terminal screen.

Terry Poot
Nathan D. Maier Consulting Engineers
(214)739-4741
Usenet: ...!{allegra|ihnp4}!convex!smu!ndm20!tp
CSNET:  ndm20!tp@smu
ARPA:   ndm20!tp%smu@csnet-relay.ARPA

dave@uwvax.UUCP (Dave Cohrs) (11/04/85)

> One non-literate strangeness I've run across was "anotherwards," which
> several students used because they didn't know the phrase was "in other
> words."

This reminds me of another phrase which I caught myself using the other
day -- "a whole nuther".  Luckily, now that I recognize this strangeness,
I can avoid it (and keep it from spreading).
--
Dave Cohrs
(608) 262-1204

debray@sbcs.UUCP (Saumya Debray) (11/04/85)

One that really irritates me is the use of "lay" when the user means "lie",
as in "I was laying on my bed when ...".  It's bad enough to have to hear
it from the plebs, I now find the rot spreading to the radio as well!

Don't these people know that in polite society, "lay" is not used as a
present tense verb in public?
--
Saumya Debray
SUNY at Stony Brook

	uucp: {allegra, hocsd, philabs, ogcvax} !sbcs!debray
	arpa: debray%suny-sb.csnet@csnet-relay.arpa
	CSNet: debray@sbcs.csnet

mike@rlvd.UUCP (Mike Woods) (11/05/85)

In article <14@cstvax.UUCP> scott@cstvax.UUCP (Scott Larnach) writes:

>Pipe your article through spell(1).
>
>Now if anyone has anything to contribute *that isn't covered by the
>above statement* I'd like to hear it.

Try this:

spell -b
bodys
^D

I've been working on a spell correction program for somewhile (in my
spare time). To generate a dictionary I took the contents of our
news spool directory, tokenised it and did a sort -u. I then passed
it through spell(1) to remove the garbage. When I came to look at
what spell had accepted I decided never to use spell again!

Mike Woods.

--

UK JANET:	mike@uk.ac.rl.vd
UUCP:		..!mcvax!ukc!rlvd!mike

dgary@ecsvax.UUCP (D Gary Grady) (11/05/85)

> Though I agree on actually mispronounced words. I was taught
> that the proper way to pronounce a place or name is the same
> as the inhabitants or the named person (or its owners', if its
> an animal,) pronounces it.
> --
> Suzanne Barnett-Scott

Dick Snow (rms@ecsvax) once hooked up a speech synthesizer and to test
it typed the word "computer."  "Kahm-POO-ter" said the box.  Henceforth
I have held that this machine, at least, should be called a compooter.

Interesting to wonder about what constitutes "correct" pronunciation.
Evidently not majority rule.  Consider the adjective "consummate"
(ultimate, perfect, utter), which most Americans (at least) pronounce
"KAHNsummit" instead of "kahnSUMmit" as the dictionaries would have
it.

Back to names:  My family name was (and still is, some places)
pronounced to rhyme with laddy.  My cousin Elizabeth Grady says the
change in pronunciation took place when one of the many Grady lawyers
set up practice in Wilmington, NC.  The first client was a loooonnng
time coming.  When he finally appeared in the door, he asked, "Are you
the lawyer Grady?" pronouncing the name to rhyme with lady.  "Indeed I
am," said my esteemed relative, and that was that.
--
D Gary Grady
Duke U Comp Center, Durham, NC  27706
(919) 684-3695
USENET:  {seismo,decvax,ihnp4,akgua,etc.}!mcnc!ecsvax!dgary

bc@cyb-eng.UUCP (Bill Crews) (11/06/85)

Second installment:  Basic literacy

Noun			Wrong verb			Right verb

administration		administrate			administer
registration		registrate			register

--

mcewan@uiucdcs.CS.UIUC.EDU (11/07/85)

> Scott McEwan (mcewan@uiucdcs.CS.UIUC.EDU), in his message <9700105@uiucdcs>,
> writes:
>
>> The two(2) that really bug me are "to" instead of "too" or "two", and
>> "loose" where "lose" is intended. It seems I see the wrong words much
>				     -----------------------------------
>> more often then I see the right ones used on the net.
>  ---------- ^^^^ ------------------------------------
>
> Indeed. ;-}

for (i=0; i<100; i++) {
	write_on_blackboard ("I will proofread SEVERAL times before posting a spelling flame.\n");
}

Yes, I do know the difference between "than" and "then".

			Scott McEwan
			{ihnp4,pur-ee}!uiucdcs!mcewan

"You can't have everything. Where would you put it?"

jvc@stl.UUCP (Vic Churchill) (11/07/85)

(Scott Larnach) writes:

>Pipe your article through spell(1).
>
>Now if anyone has anything to contribute *that isn't covered by the
>above statement* I'd like to hear it.

... "dependent" vs. "dependant" aaaargh!!

ron@brl-sem.ARPA (Ron Natalie <ron>) (11/08/85)

> Noun			Wrong verb			Right verb
> administration	administrate			administer

Unfortunately, officialspeak has made "administrate" a perfectly
legal word.  It's listed without prejudice in both my Random House
and Websters dictionaries.  Registrate is out, however.

My favorite of these words is "certificated," which is used by the
FAA all throughout their regulations.  It means (to them), having
gotten a certificate (as different from being certified, I guess).

-Ron

wildstar@nmtvax.UUCP (11/09/85)

How about "mnemoynics" for the instruction set of the [ Starship ]
Enterprize's main computer?

dgary@ecsvax.UUCP (D Gary Grady) (11/11/85)

> . . .  It's listed without prejudice in both my Random House
> and Websters dictionaries.

Minor point:  "Webster's dictionary" is a generic name, as is "Roget's
Thesaurus."  Many dictionary publishers having no connection with each
other produce "Webster's" dictionaries, such as the "Webster's New
Collegiate Dictionary" published by Merriam.  I have even seen a
"Webster's Encyclopedia"!

The true "Webster's Dictionary"  was compiled by Noah Webster
(1758-1843) and is worth a look.  Webster introduced many of the
differences between the spelling of American and English, such as
"center" versus "centre" and (I think) "jail" versus "gaol."  Many of
his definitions and examples are intentionally funny, often with
England on the receiving end of the joke.
--

devine@asgb.UUCP (Robert J. Devine) (11/12/85)

> In article <912@rlvd.UUCP> mike@rlvd.UUCP (Mike Woods) writes:
>
> I've been working on a spell correction program for somewhile (in my
> spare time). To generate a dictionary I took the contents of our
> news spool directory, tokenised it and did a sort -u. I then passed
> it through spell(1) to remove the garbage. When I came to look at
> what spell had accepted I decided never to use spell again!

  Three years ago I wrote a spell(1)-like program for a VMS machine.  To
generate a dictionary, I grabbed the UNIX dictionary off of a campus
machine.  It may have just been that the system administrator had loaded
it with various words without checking their spelling.  Regardless of
their origin, many misspelled words were present.

  So, be wary!  Don't take "spell" as the final authority.

Bob

gdmr@cstvax.UUCP (George D M Ross) (11/12/85)

In article <248@stl.UUCP> jvc@stl.UUCP (Vic Churchill) writes:
>(Scott Larnach) writes:
>>
>>Pipe your article through spell(1).
>>Now if anyone has anything to contribute *that isn't covered by the
>>above statement* I'd like to hear it.
>
>... "dependent" vs. "dependant" aaaargh!!

Not to mention perpretrators of to/too/two confusion, and of/off and lots of
other cringeworthy things.....

--
George D M Ross, Dept. of Computer Science, Univ. of Edinburgh
Phone: +44 31-667 1081 x2730

robert@cheviot.uucp (Robert Stroud) (11/14/85)

I can't resist joining in any longer. My pet concern is a very small
word which comes in two forms. It's amazing how few people seem to know
which of its forms to use!

Robert Stroud,
Computing Laboratory,
University of Newcastle upon Tyne.

UUCP ...!ukc!cheviot!robert
ARPA robert%cheviot.newcastle@ucl-cs.ARPA
JANET robert@newcastle.cheviot

landauer@drivax.UUCP (Doug Landauer) (11/20/85)

Robert Stroud says:
> I can't resist joining in any longer. My pet concern is a very small
> word which comes in two forms. It's amazing how few people seem to know
> which of its forms to use!

Yes, it's sad to see its misuse on the net.  Another common
net mistake that bugs me is/are the three spellings of "to",
which are apparently two too many to handle.

rose@sdcsvax.UUCP (Dan Rose) (11/24/85)

In article <732@ecsvax.UUCP> dgary@ecsvax.UUCP (D Gary Grady) writes:
>> . . .  It's listed without prejudice in both my Random House
>> and Websters dictionaries.
>
>Minor point:  "Webster's dictionary" is a generic name, as is "Roget's
>Thesaurus."  Many dictionary publishers having no connection with each
>other produce "Webster's" dictionaries, such as the "Webster's New
>Collegiate Dictionary" published by Merriam.  I have even seen a
>"Webster's Encyclopedia"!	  ----------

It's true that anyone can call themselves a Webster's dictionary or
Roget's thesaurus, but there ARE two publishers which have a reasonable
claim to the names:  The "real" Roget's thesaurus is published by a
company called something like Crowell, and can trace its origins
back to Roget, who came up with the idea of classifying words by
meaning rather than alphabetically.  (The "new" alphabetically-indexed
thesauruses (pl?) are self-defeating).  Anyway, I believe the Crowell
edition is edited by one of Roget's descendants.

The "real" Webster's dictionary IS published by Merriam-Webster.
I'm not sure of the relationship, but this one can somehow be
traced back to Noah Webster's.  Merriam-Webster publishes primarily
two dictionaries, a big one ". . . Nth International . . ." and a
little one ". . . Nth Collegiate . . ."  The Third International,
which came out sometime in the past twenty years (I think), created
a furor by including many new words and spellings because the editors
felt usage warranted it.  Language purists predicted the demise of
English As We Know It.  It hasn't happened yet, but I worry about it
every nite :-).  The most recent Collegiate (9th?) has been criticized
for having "mutually recursive" definitions.  For this reason, many
people prefer the American Heritage, though personally I disagree.

					-- Dan
--
			Dan (not Broadway Danny) Rose
			rose@UCSD

dgary@ecsvax.UUCP (D Gary Grady) (11/25/85)

In article <1227@sdcsvax.UUCP> rose@sdcsvax.UUCP (Dan rose) writes:
>In article <732@ecsvax.UUCP> dgary@ecsvax.UUCP (D Gary Grady) writes:
>>
>>Minor point:  "Webster's dictionary" is a generic name . . .

>It's true that anyone can call themselves a Webster's dictionary [but]
>The "real" Webster's dictionary IS published by Merriam-Webster.
>[Merriam Webster's] Third International,
>which came out sometime in the past twenty years (I think), created
>a furor by including many new words and spellings because the editors
>felt usage warranted it.  Language purists predicted the demise of
>English As We Know It.  It hasn't happened yet, but I worry about it
>every nite :-).  The most recent Collegiate (9th?) has been criticized
>for having "mutually recursive" definitions.  For this reason, many
>people prefer the American Heritage, though personally I disagree.

You're quite right, of course, and I plead guilty to not having said as
much in my posting.  My point was that saying "Webster's Dictionary"
doesn't say much; "Webster's New International" and "Webster's
Collegiate" are quite specific.

As for the furor over the Third International (sounds like something
socialist...), it stems not just from new definitions but from
Merriam's retreat from a prescriptive dictionary to a merely
descriptive one.  There are many other problems with Merriam, including
the use of multiple alphabetical lists instead of just one, listing
definitions in order of oldest attested use (which means you've got to
wade through obsolete meanings to get to the good stuff), and so on.
Finally, it is a poor guide to usage, a flaw not shared by the (one,
true, original) American Heritage.  Funk and Wagnalls is not bad either,
and it has the funniest name of any of them.

One other myth about dictionaries deserves puncturing:  When multiple
spellings or pronunciations are given, it is NOT true that the one give
first is necessarily "preferred" (if you doubt me, read the frontmatter
in any dictionary).  The use-the-first rule is a guideline in the
Chicago Manual of Style, not a statement about what the dictionary
publishers themselves are doing.