[gnu.gdb.bug] xgdb?

amb@BERT.CS.BYU.EDU (A. Michael Burbidge) (01/14/89)

Where is xgdb available to ftp. Also, is gdb supposed to debug programs
produced by cc?

Mike Burbidge---
amb@bunsen.byu.edu

bob@allosaur.cis.ohio-state.edu (Bob Sutterfield) (01/17/89)

In article <8901131823.AA10568@bert.cs.byu.edu> amb@BERT.CS.BYU.EDU (A. Michael Burbidge) writes:
>Where is xgdb available to ftp.

It now comes with the rest of the gdb distribution.  Look in
prep.ai.mit.edu:/u/emacs/gdb.tar-3.0.Z.

>Also, is gdb supposed to debug programs produced by cc?

If the source was compiled with cc -g (same as for dbx), then it
should.  Using gcc -gg inserts more and more useful information for
use by gdb, though.

randy@WHEATIES.AI.MIT.EDU (Randy Smith) (01/18/89)

> If the source was compiled with cc -g (same as for dbx), then it
> should.  Using gcc -gg inserts more and more useful information for
> use by gdb, though.

    Actually, the only advantage to gcc -gg is faster startup than
  with -g (the data structures are put in gdb format by gcc, so no
  processing needs to be done).  I'm attempting to address this
  problem with delayed readin of dbx symbol information.  If I succeed
  in making startup blindingly fast, we may do away with -gg format
  entirely.

    Meanwhile, I haven't been worrying too much about keeping -gg
  format working.  Specifically, it doesn't work for gdb 3.0.  So if
  you are using 3.0, stick with -g.

						-- Randy

						GDB maintainer
						Project GNU