[net.followup] internet mailing summary

I am impressed.  This is quite an effort; public thanks to steve
wall aka snoopy.  One caveat I think must be added (since I fell
into it >1ce in younger days).

In article <9072@ritcv.UUCP> spw2562@ritcv.UUCP (snoopy) writes:
>UUCP     ==> Internet  hosta!...!hostz!seismo!user@host.ARPA  or
>                       hosta!...!hostz!harvard!user@host.ARPA
>                         Note: "hosta" is the sender's nearest neighbor.
>                         The sender must specify a UUCP routing path to
>                         "hostz", a host with a direct connection to some
>                         UUCP->Internet gateway, such as "seismo" or
>                         "harvard".

None of hostb ... hostz may be on the ARPAnet or some other net
that will swallow @'d addresses.  For instance, if I want to send
ARPA mail from aplvax and forget that umcp-cs is also an ARPA host,
I might construct:
	umcp-cs!seismo!eric@ucbvax.ARPA
Well, when it gets to umcp-cs, the address is:
	seismo!eric@ucbvax.ARPA
which gets shipped across the ARPAnet to ucbvax, which then looks for
	seismo!eric
Well, this is a bad example since ucbvax just happens to call seismo
right back, cross-country (3250 miles), and I think that there is an
eric there -- but not the one i was sending mail to, on ucbvax!

[Potential flamers -- I didn't say HOW ucbvax called seismo back.]

The bottom line is, that you want the shortest UUCP route to an ARPA
server.  You may have gathered from above that it's possible to go
through the ARPA net and then back onto UUCP, which is true, and
left as an exercise for those who don't want to send a stamped
self-addressed packet envelope.

Incidentally, seismo.CSS.GOV (sometimes incorrectly identified as
seismo.arpa) has been complaining that so much mail passes through
their site every day, that if they charged a penny a kilobyte they
could all retire as billionaires.  One report says that factions are
split between doing that and losing their mail-forwarding software.
;-)	Seriously, if anyone can find a site other than seismo to
forward through, I know some folk who'd appreciate it.
--

	Joe Yao		hadron!jsdy@seismo.{CSS.GOV,ARPA,UUCP}