[gnu.g++.bug] g++.texinfo

rfg@MCC.COM (Ron Guilmette) (06/05/89)

Recently, brunix!sdm@uunet.uu.net (Scott) wrote:

> There are some problems with texing g++.texinfo I thought you might
> want to know about.

> ... notice the undefined cross references and the overly long lines.

These problems are relatively minor (but they SHOULD be fixed).  The
*real* problem is that g++.texinfo keeps falling further and further
behind G++ itself.  That's because Michael is more interested in hacking
than in documenting.  Who can blame him?  Let's face it.  Hacking is more
fun.  Still, it would be nice to have all of the quirky G++ options
and C++ extensions documented.  (I'm thinking of things like -fall-virtual
and things like case-ranges).

One suggestion I have for simplfying the maintenance of g++.texinfo is
to hack out all of the stuff that can be found in the gcc.texinfo file.
Rather that trying to constantly keep g++.texinfo up-to-date relative
to gcc.texinfo (as that document changes), I think it would be a lot
less work to simply say "see the GCC manual" in appropriate places in
the g++.texinfo file.  This would causes g++.texinfo to shrink
dramatically and there would be fewer problems with these two documents
getting out-of-sync.

Alternatively, perhaps g++.texinfo should be supplied *not* as a
standalone .texinfo file, but rather as a set of "patches" to the
gcc.texinfo file.  This way,  additions or deletions to the gcc
manual would automatically be reflected in the G++ manual.  Still,
the "patches" could add (or delete) information which is specific
to g++ (or gcc).

What about it Michael?  Will this help to make your job easier?

// Ron Guilmette  -  MCC  -  Experimental Systems Kit Project
// 3500 West Balcones Center Drive,  Austin, TX  78759  -  (512)338-3740
// ARPA: rfg@mcc.com
// UUCP: {rutgers,uunet,gatech,ames,pyramid}!cs.utexas.edu!pp!rfg

schmidt@ics.uci.edu (Doug Schmidt) (06/05/89)

In article <8906041706.AA23297@pink.aca.mcc.com> rfg@MCC.COM (Ron Guilmette) writes:
++ Hacking is more fun.

Maybe that could be `Guilmette's Law'? ;-)

++ Still, it would be nice to have all of the quirky G++ options
++ and C++ extensions documented.  (I'm thinking of things like -fall-virtual
++ and things like case-ranges).

True, and if you check out the latest g++.texinfo you'll see that it
documents -fall-virtual, case-ranges, static member functions, etc.
I've sent Michael updates for these and he's merged them in.

We could still use help here, of course.  Perhaps someone who's *paid*
to maintain GNU tools would like to volunteer his time and
expertise?!?!? ;-)

Doug
--
schmidt@ics.uci.edu (ARPA) |   Per me si va nella citta' dolente.
office: (714) 856-4043     |   Per me si va nell'eterno dolore.

tower@AI.MIT.EDU (Leonard H. Tower Jr.) (06/05/89)

   From: uci-ics!schmidt@orion.cf.uci.edu  (Doug Schmidt)

   We could still use help here, of course.  Perhaps someone who's *paid*
   to maintain GNU tools would like to volunteer his time and
   expertise?!?!? ;-)

   Doug

The bulk of GNU is still being done by volunteers.

It's very unlikely that we will have FSF staff resources any time soon
to help with G++ details, beyond the changes to the common code it
shares with other GNU programs, and help with distribution.

It's also unlikely that FSF staff will volunteer their free time to
help out.  They each have their own pet projects.  ;-}

Everyone:

Keep up the good work!  We've come a long way, but have some distance
left to go!

thanx -len