[gnu.g++.bug] memcpy

tom@tnosoes.UUCP (Tom Vijlbrief) (11/14/89)

jonathan@comp.vuw.ac.nz writes:

>ld++ will not build on some 4.2-based Unix systems, because
>cplus-dem.c assumes it is either running on a sequent, or a System V
>machine (which, these days, includes Suns) that has memcpy() and
>/usr/include/memory.h.  The following change seems more portable, and
>more in the spirit of other GNU code:

>  #define memcpy(s1, s2, n) strncpy(s1, s2, n)

According to the manual page on my Sun strncpy will "null-pad" s2
when it finds a zero byte before the n bytes are copied.

So memcpy and strncpy will often be not compatible.

Tom
Tom Vijlbrief
TNO Institute for Perception
P.O. Box 23				Phone: +31 34 63 562 11
3769 ZG  Soesterberg			E-mail: tnosoes!tom@mcvax.cwi.nl
The Netherlands				    or:	uunet!mcvax!tnosoes!tom