[net.followup] House for sale in the Netherlands.

dave@quest.UUCP (dave) (11/19/85)

> 			FOR SALE:
>
> 	On 1100 square meter lot in top-class residential wooded area,
> 	50 km from Amsterdam, a 7 year old 6 bedroom brick house (bun-
> 	galow type).

So, now Europe is doing it to us...
--

David Messer   UUCP:  ...ihnp4!circadia!dave
               FIDO:  14/415 (SYSOP)

flaps@utcs.uucp (Alan J Rosenthal) (11/23/85)

I have a very strong complaint.  Why is it that, when more than one for-sale
message a week is sent by america to europe, a SINGLE message in the months
I have been on the net which is sent by europe to america, causes such an
extreme reaction?  This is a very unfair way to look at things.

--
Alan J Rosenthal
{ihnp4|allegra|linus|decvax}!utzoo!utcs!flaps, cbosgd!utcs!flaps

dgary@ecsvax.UUCP (D Gary Grady) (11/27/85)

In article <992@utcs.uucp> flaps@utcs.UUCP (Alan J Rosenthal) writes:

>I have a very strong complaint.  Why is it that, when more than one for-sale
>message a week is sent by america to europe, a SINGLE message in the months
>I have been on the net which is sent by europe to america, causes such an
>extreme reaction?  This is a very unfair way to look at things.

We pioneers expect better from an older civilization.
--
D Gary Grady
Duke U Comp Center, Durham, NC  27706

tp@ndm20 (12/04/85)

>I have a very strong complaint.  Why is it that, when more than one for-sale
>message a week is sent by america to europe, a SINGLE message in the months
>I have been on the net which is sent by europe to america, causes such an
>extreme reaction?  This is a very unfair way to look at things.

>Alan J Rosenthal

Aren't we being just a little defensive here?  This  posting seems to
have gotten less of a reaction than the infamous dining  table in New
Jersey.    The  reaction it  did get  was not  out of  scale to other
reactions to previous similar  postings.   Don't feen  picked on just
because  someone  explicitly  mentioned  that  the  message  was from
europe.  AT&T gets a lot of explicit mention for some of these things
too, but they don't get bent out  of shape  about it  (maybe they are
just used to it by now :-).

People outside of the US  are very  quick to  point out inappropriate
postings by americans ("Was it neccessary to send this message around
the world?", "Will you deliver it to Australia?", etc.), yet at least
a few europeans seem to get rather upset when the  same standards are
applied to them.

Between  this  and  the  flap over  net.internat, it  seems that SOME
(please note the qualification!)   europeans  (and probably elsewhere
as well) who loudly complain about people in the US  having a problem
relating to the rest of the world ("the US  is NOT  the whole world",
("Would  we have  all these  problems if  it were  USENIX rather than
EUUG"), seem to also feel somehow that they are not bound to the same
rules as the US.  Net.news.group has  been full  of people justifying
the method of creation of net.internat with arguments  that reduce to
that attitude.

I don't want to open up the net.internat thing here in net.general,
follow that up to net.news.group. My point here is that nobody is
immune to bias, and your biases will show through the most when you
try to criticize the biases of others. Most people who perceive that
they are the victims of prejudice by members of a group hold similar
(if not worse) prejudices against said group.

Please examine your attitudes for such biases before you flame at
someone else, or it will only show your own prejudices for the whole
world to see.

Terry Poot
Nathan D. Maier Consulting Engineers
(214)739-4741
Usenet: ...!{allegra|ihnp4}!convex!smu!ndm20!tp
CSNET:  ndm20!tp@smu
ARPA:   ndm20!tp%smu@csnet-relay.ARPA

pete@stc.UUCP (12/08/85)

Xpath: stc stc-b stc-b stc-a

Some people seem not to have read the original posting properly.
To paraphrase, the poster said that he *intended* the posting to
reach the US (world). It's not unreasonable to suppose that someone
taking a job in the Netherlands might want to buy a house there.

This is a long way from invitations to buy Hondas in California
or Buicks in New Jersey that have been sent to the whole world
due to *ignorance*.
--
	Peter Kendell <pete@stc.UUCP>

	...!mcvax!ukc!stc!pete

	`I've suffered for my art. Now it's your turn.'

mmm@weitek.UUCP (Mark Thorson) (12/08/85)

Now that the dinette set has become so famous (or "infamous" as a previous
poster put it), I'm curious whether it's still available and for how much.

After all, what a conversation piece for the dining room:  "Yes, that's THE
Usenet dinette set".

Mark Thorson  (...!cae780!weitek!mmm)