[gnu.config] Mailinglists to the gnu.* groups?

pelle@eva.slu.se (OVE EWERLID) (05/03/89)

It seems as if information that reaches the GNU newsgroups via mailinglists
isn't forwarded to Sweden (it may include all of Europe). If information
originated from mailinglists is supposed to reach Sweden(Europe?) they don't.
Is there a way cure this information sink?

ewerlid@emil.csd.uu.se

bob@oz.cis.ohio-state.edu (Bob Sutterfield) (05/03/89)

In article <4963@eva.slu.se> pelle@eva.slu.se (OVE EWERLID) writes:
   It seems as if information that reaches the GNU newsgroups via
   mailinglists isn't forwarded to Sweden (it may include all of
   Europe). If information originated from mailinglists is supposed to
   reach Sweden(Europe?) they don't.  Is there a way cure this
   information sink?

I'm guessing that you sent an article to a mailing list and you didn't
see it come back to you in the corresponding newsgroup.  No, we're not
discriminating against Swedes...

The mail->news gatewaying software takes your From: line and turns
that address into the next-to-last element in the news article's Path:
line.  The Path: line is used by all your news neighbors to decide
whether to hand that article to your site - if they see you in the
article and will economize the transmission time for that news batch
by not including that article.

This is a problem for those sites (like ours) that put their
fully-qualified domain names in their mail and news From: line and
their news Path: line, and for sites that put only a short UUCP
nickname in both.  If you put your FQDN in From: but a nickname in
Path:, then you should see your article coming back to you.

In general, if you use news, you should use news for everything in
order to get consistent behavior.  This conflicts with the FSF's
preferences that you mail bug reports to the mailing lists, so it
seems that you'll simply have to learn not to expect your mail to come
back to you in news if your site is one with a consistent naming
policy.

(I'm still considering changing the gateway to put
"...!tut.cis.ohio-state.edu!nobody" in Path: of each article it
constructs, so that this will no longer happen.)

pelle@eva.slu.se (OVE EWERLID) (05/08/89)

In article <BOB.89May3090449@oz.cis.ohio-state.edu>, bob@oz.cis.ohio-state.edu (Bob Sutterfield) writes:
> I'm guessing that you sent an article to a mailing list and you didn't
> see it come back to you in the corresponding newsgroup.  No, we're not
> discriminating against Swedes...

Your guess is wrong!

In a discussion with an american friend I'm suddenly faced with four Newsitems,
not originated in a small timeintervall, that I haven't seen the smoke of.
All of those postings originated from the mailinglist side. Due to a different
format in the header of those postings a made false conclusions about the
reasons. I was naiv assuming that sites, other than mine, were involved.
We seems to have some loosage.......

The above is for the persons that asked were I got the idea that Sweden may
be loosing newsitems in the gnu.* groups.

Thanks for the information about domains, paths, etc