[net.followup] About that house in the Netherlands

hopp@nbs-amrf.UUCP (Ted Hopp) (11/24/85)

> One question: The person who flamed me called my article "crap". This seems
> to be the standard term for articles one doesn't like.
> 	a) What does the word "crap" mean?
> 	b) Why is this the only word used in this context? Aren't there other
> 		words?
> --
> 							  Biep.
> 	{seismo|decvax|philabs|garfield|okstate}!mcvax!vu44!biep

a) The word "crap" literally means "trash".  It has the additional connotation
   of excrement or something equally unappealing.

b) There are many other words.  Often, however, people who have little
   patience for another's articles have equally little patience to learn how
   to use English effectively.  "Crap" was usually the first synonym one
   learned for "shit" that could be used in mixed company.  (At least in the
   50's and early 60's, before acid rock :-).)  Some people feel "crap"
   remains the quintessential epithet (of those acceptable for transoceanic
   broadcast).

   Of course, such generally applicable, unfocused complaints seldom com-
   municate the true nature of the objection.  One taking your original
   article at face value might have called it "inappropriate for posting
   to North America," or "a thoughtless abuse of usenet."  One aware that
   your article was intended as, among other things, a mild form of revenge
   might have labeled it "counterproductive," or "petty."  Personally,
   I never would have given it a "shit."

--

Ted Hopp	{seismo,umcp-cs}!nbs-amrf!hopp

rick@cheviot.uucp (Rick Brooker) (11/28/85)

In article <76@nbs-amrf.UUCP> hopp@nbs-amrf.UUCP (Ted Hopp) writes:
>> One question: The person who flamed me called my article "crap". This seems
>> to be the standard term for articles one doesn't like.
>> 	a) What does the word "crap" mean?
>> --
>> 							  Biep.
>> 	{seismo|decvax|philabs|garfield|okstate}!mcvax!vu44!biep

>a) The word "crap" literally means "trash".  It has the additional connotation
>   of excrement or something equally unappealing.
>
>Ted Hopp	{seismo,umcp-cs}!nbs-amrf!hopp

I believe the word 'crap' comes from a certain Thomas Crapper, who invented
(or was it Patented?) the modern toilet bowl. :-)

     "Supreme executive power is derived from a mandate from
       the masses not from some farcical aquatic ceremony !"
Rick (E.R.G) Brooker, Computing Lab., U of Newcastle upon Tyne, Tyne & Wear, UK
  ARPA  : rick%cheviot.newcastle.ac.uk@ucl-cs.arpa
  JANET : rick@uk.ac.newcastle.cheviot
  UUCP  : <UK>!ukc!cheviot!rick

phil@kcl-cs.UUCP (Phil Thompson) (11/28/85)

In article <76@nbs-amrf.UUCP> hopp@nbs-amrf.UUCP (Ted Hopp) writes:
>> One question: The person who flamed me called my article "crap". This seems
>> to be the standard term for articles one doesn't like.
>> 	a) What does the word "crap" mean?
>
>a) The word "crap" literally means "trash".  It has the additional connotation
>   of excrement or something equally unappealing.

The origin of the word "crap" is Thomas Crapper. He invented the first flushing
toilet. So "crap", if it means anything, means excrement.

Phil Thompson.

hopp@nbs-amrf.UUCP (Ted Hopp) (11/30/85)

> >> 	a) What does the word "crap" mean?
> >> 							  Biep.
> >
> >a) The word "crap" literally means "trash".  It has the additional
> >   connotation of excrement or something equally unappealing.
> >
> >Ted Hopp
>
> I believe the word 'crap' comes from a certain Thomas Crapper, who invented
> (or was it Patented?) the modern toilet bowl. :-)
>
> Rick (E.R.G) Brooker

The following is from "A Browser's Dictionary" by John Ciardi (Harper & Row,
New York, 1980):

    crap (1) n. 1. Excrement. 2. Nonsense. -- v. To defecate.  Also
    _take a crap._ -- exclam.  Expresses disgust, revulsion, vexation.
    _crapper_ A toilet seat.  A toilet.  [The story of Sir Thomas
    Crapper, who was knighted for inventing the flush toilet, is a
    hoax. <ME _crappe_, rubbish, stuff left over, stuff thrown out of.
    <MD _*crappen_, to tear away from.]

Apparently there is a stronger relationship of crap to excrement than
connotation.

Considering that the etymology of crap goes back to Middle Dutch, I find
it interesting that Biep, who was posting from the Netherlands, didn't
know what it meant.  Apparently, _crappen_ did not take on the meaning in
Dutch that it acquired in going through Middle English.  Is there a Dutch
equivalent to the modern English "crap" that has its root in _crappen_?

--

Ted Hopp	{seismo,umcp-cs}!nbs-amrf!hopp

berry@zinfandel.UUCP (Berry Kercheval) (12/02/85)

In article <226@argon.kcl-cs.UUCP> phil@argon.UUCP (Phil Thompson) writes:
>The origin of the word "crap" is Thomas Crapper. He invented the first flushing
>toilet. So "crap", if it means anything, means excrement.

From the OXFORD UNIVERSAL DICTIONARY (1964 ed. p. 417): (somewhat abbreviated)

CRAP: From Middle English.  1.  The husk of grain - 1483.  2. A name of
Buckwheat [ etc... ] 3. Residues, as of fat.  4. Dregs of ale 1879.  5. Money
(slang or dialect) 1700.  6. A Scrap 1550.

Crap: 1721. from dutch [!] 'krap'.  Madder -1812.

Crap: Thieve's cant.  from dutch 'krap' cramp.  The Gallows.  Hence the
crap (v.t.) to hang.

-------
Now can anyone see how a slang term for excrement may be derived without
needing the possibly apocryphal Mr. Crapper?

--
Berry Kercheval		Zehntel Inc.	(ihnp4!zehntel!zinfandel!berry)
(415)932-6900				(kerch@lll-tis.ARPA)

gretchen@adiron.UUCP (who?) (12/10/85)

Wasn't it SIR Thomas Crapper? After all he should be knighted for such
a great contribution to modern civilization.