[gnu.chess] source for gnu chess

eugene@gatech.edu (Eugene Galiano) (04/05/89)

can anybody please tell me where i can get the source (or binaries)
to gnu chess for a vaxstation 2000 running ultrix 2.0, i have a
version but its very buggy and locks up all the time. Thanks, please
respond to eugene@gatech.edu or post the location

bob@tinman.cis.ohio-state.edu (Bob Sutterfield) (04/05/89)

You can get GNU Chess source from the author at
venera.isi.edu:pub/gnuchess.tar.Z, or from the GNU cache at
prep.ai.mit.edu:/u/emacs/gnuchess.tar.Z (when it's up), or from our
cache at tut.cis.ohio-state.edu:pub/gnu/chess/gnuchess.tar.Z*; or via
UUCP from osu-cis.

riemann@gmdzi.UUCP (Claus Riemann) (04/05/89)

In article <BOB.89Apr4151540@tinman.cis.ohio-state.edu>, bob@tinman.cis.ohio-state.edu (Bob Sutterfield) writes:
> You can get GNU Chess source from the author at
> venera.isi.edu:pub/gnuchess.tar.Z, or from the GNU cache at
> prep.ai.mit.edu:/u/emacs/gnuchess.tar.Z (when it's up), or from our
> cache at tut.cis.ohio-state.edu:pub/gnu/chess/gnuchess.tar.Z*; or via
> UUCP from osu-cis.

REMARK: Don't forget that many netlander (including me) hasn't the possibility
        of using 'ftp'!
        So it is helpful to post the source of gnuchess to this newsgroup, when
        it has been changed, bugfixed or rewritten :-).

--cla

bob@allosaur.cis.ohio-state.edu (Bob Sutterfield) (04/05/89)

In article <1011@gmdzi.UUCP> riemann@gmdzi.UUCP (Claus Riemann) writes:
   Don't forget that many netlander (including me) hasn't the
   possibility of using 'ftp'!  So it is helpful to post the source of
   gnuchess to this newsgroup, when it has been changed, bugfixed or
   rewritten :-).

The compressed tar file of the current version is 362,289 bytes, and
would be huge to carry in a newsgroup/mailing list that's primarily a
discussion forum.  gnuchess was posted to comp.sources.games (v04i037)
on 11 Jun 88 as <2627@tekred.TEK.COM> by John Stanback
<jhs@hpltbm.HP.COM>.  Perhaps Mr Cracraft has plans for another
posting of the current version?

Alternatively, several sites on your side of the pond have Internet
access, and I have mailed tapes to others, who said that they intended
to arrange an anonymous-UUCP or Euro-BITnet redistribution point.
Check around at major European archive sites; perhaps someone already
has it and can send it along to you or make it available for you to
pick up yourself.