[gnu.chess] Gnu Chess Statistics

bob@tinman.cis.ohio-state.edu (Bob Sutterfield) (08/01/89)

[Steve sent this to root here, so I'll forward it on to gnu.chess]

From: Steve Walczak <smw@chameleon.cis.ufl.edu>
Newsgroups: cis.staff.daemon-mail
Date: 31 Jul 89 18:46:27 GMT

To anyone that might know,

I am looking for some performance statistics for gnuchess version 1.51
or 1.52.  If you would happen to know any of the following answers
then please email them (the answers) back to me.

   1.  How long does gnuchess take to evaluate a node? (this can be
expressed as 100's or 1000's of nodes per second)

   2.  What is the average number of nodes searched in the game tree by
the movement selection function per move?

   3.  What is the standard depth of the search and if something other than
alpha-beta pruning with iterative deepening is used, then what search
method is employed?

The answers to these questions will be a great help in completing some
research that I am doing here at the University of Florida.  I am
sorry that I had to send this to `root', but I didn't know any other
user names.  Please circulate this to whomever might know the answers
to these questions.

Thanks,

--Steve Walczak