[gnu.chess] gnu opening book

ainac@castle.ed.ac.uk (Nicolai A. Czempin) (11/20/89)

I have a fairly recent version of gnuchess, and looking through the
source, it struck me that the opening book is:
	a) very ineffiiciently represented,
	b) pretty much out of date,
	c) doesn't take into account ACTIVE and PASSIVE repertoire.

Is anybody working on improving that? If not, I'll do it.

--
Nicolai Czempin has no fancy .signature yet.

jayhawk@cbnewsh.ATT.COM (R.Moats) (11/28/89)

From article <1130@castle.ed.ac.uk>, by ainac@castle.ed.ac.uk (Nicolai A. Czempin):
> I have a fairly recent version of gnuchess, and looking through the
> source, it struck me that the opening book is:
> 	a) very ineffiiciently represented,
> 	b) pretty much out of date,
> 	c) doesn't take into account ACTIVE and PASSIVE repertoire.
>
> Is anybody working on improving that? If not, I'll do it.

I don't know if the GNU folks are working on that, but I've been
kicking around my own personal ideas on how to do the representation
rather than add to the existing book.  My best idea is some sort of
position table with hashing (to handle transpositions, since even ECO
misses a bunch), but I haven't had time to sit down
and make a concerted effort at doing it.

Ryan Moats
AT&T Bell Laboratories
rdmi@homxb.att.com

wallingf@cpsvax.cps.msu.edu (Eugene Wallingford) (11/28/89)

Nicolai A. Czempin writes:

> I have a fairly recent version of gnuchess, and looking through the
> source, it struck me that the opening book is:
> 	a) very ineffiiciently represented,
> 	b) pretty much out of date,
> 	c) doesn't take into account ACTIVE and PASSIVE repertoire.
>
> Is anybody working on improving that? If not, I'll do it.

     I don't know if anyone has taken charge of this, but for my
     own purposes I have added an extensive coverage of the Center
     Game to our local gnuchess.book and am contemplating adding
     my rather comprehensive collection of Petrov Defense lines.
     (These may not interest many folks, but I have studied the
     Petrov for many years and am looking at the Center Game for
     fun.  Actually, gnuchess has played some very strong and
     interesting initial continuations to some of the Center
     Game lines.  Its follow-through is, of course, not as good.)

     Contact me if you are interested in these.

~~~~ Eugene Wallingford            ----    AI/KBS Laboratory         ~~~~
~~~~ wallingf@cpsvax.cps.msu.edu   ----    Michigan State University ~~~~