[gnu.chess] How do you compile GNU CHESS?

storkus@arrakis.nevada.edu (Mike Storke (N7MSD)) (03/03/90)

  I'm sorry for posting this to everyone with this stupid question, but:
I CAN'T COMPILE GNU CHESS!  The make file is so screwy that I can't figure
it out.  As is, it wants a .define file that isn't there.  Knowing that all
I want is the chess, and no fancy stuff, I fooled with it, and hacked the
stuff not needed.  Still, all problems.  Can someone please help?
Reply to me by mail unless someone else wants to know as well.  Thanks, Mike

hthomas@irisa.irisa.fr (Henry Thomas,TB129,Equipe API,9936200-545) (03/05/90)

From article <1415@unsvax.NEVADA.EDU>, by storkus@arrakis.nevada.edu (Mike Storke (N7MSD)):

>   I'm sorry for posting this to everyone with this stupid question, but:
> I CAN'T COMPILE GNU CHESS!  The make file is so screwy that I can't figure
.[deleted]

I must be very stupid too, because, if I can compile gnuchess ans execute
it, I can't execute xchess. When I invoke it, the frame appears then a
"core dump" occurs. I used a little dbx to find the the error occurs when
xchess tries to write some text.
I'm not the only one to suffer from this bug: someone had the same trouble a
while ago.

I need some help too !!!
					Henry.

--
Henry Thomas - API Team                         Henry.Thomas@irisa.fr (hthomas)
IRISA Campus Universitaire de Beaulieu          35042 RENNES CEDEX - FRANCE

lma@Neon.Stanford.EDU (Larry M. Augustin) (03/06/90)

In article <1990Mar5.142706.17010@irisa.fr> hthomas@irisa.irisa.fr (Henry Thomas,TB129,Equipe API,9936200-545) writes:
>From article <1415@unsvax.NEVADA.EDU>, by storkus@arrakis.nevada.edu (Mike Storke (N7MSD)):
>>
>>   I'm sorry for posting this to everyone with this stupid question, but:
>> I CAN'T COMPILE GNU CHESS!  The make file is so screwy that I can't figure
>.[deleted]
>
>I must be very stupid too, because, if I can compile gnuchess ans execute
>it, I can't execute xchess. When I invoke it, the frame appears then a
>"core dump" occurs. I used a little dbx to find the the error occurs when
>xchess tries to write some text.
>I'm not the only one to suffer from this bug: someone had the same trouble a
>while ago.
>
>I need some help too !!!
>					Henry.

I've posted the fix to this bug several times before, but it doesn't
seem to get fixed.  I don't have the sources on-line anymore, so I
can't give you diffs, but the fix is easy once you know what to look
for.

Xchess uses a special character sequence in strings to select the font
for printing.  The sequence is something like "^0" for font 0, "^1"
for font 1, etc.  (Note: This is a 2-character sequence.  It isn't
ASCII Control-1).  The very first text messge printed is "Xchess
Messages".  Somewhere in the sources, this string is defined something
like:

	"\n^0Xchess Messages\n"

The problem is that the font control sequence ("^0") comes after the
leading "\n", and so no font is selected for printing the "\n" and the
program crashes.  (Actually, it only crashes on machines which have
problems dereferencing through null pointers such as suns.  It works
fine on VAXen.)

Now I may not have the specifics correct, but you get the general
idea.  Search for the startup string, look for the font control
sequence at the beginning, and move the font control sequnce before
the "\n" and everything will run.

Larry M. Augustin			ERL 414
lma@sierra.stanford.edu			Computer Systems Lab
lma@dayton.stanford.edu			Stanford University