   From: root@ai.mit.edu (Operator)
   Date: Sun, 4 Jun 89 15:03:45 EDT
   Subject: Unix System Woes

   The Unix machines and mail have been very unreliable.  We wish to
   explain some of the recent problems, what has been done, and what
   needs to be done.  The major topics are system down time and mail.

   (1) Pipe incident.  The most recent cause of downtime was caused by a
   water main leak.  To fix the leak, the water supply and the air
   conditioning had to be shut off on two separate nights.  Power cycling
   machines frequently breaks them, and this time around we had lots of
   disk problems.  This is a hardware failure.

   (2) Wheaties disk failure.  Before the pipe incident, wheaties boot
   disk drive died.  Wheaties is at the core of the lab's unix systems,
   and losing its boot disk caused many clients to be down and stopped
   mail delivery.  We couldn't isolate the failure, so we had to reformat
   the disk.  Reformatting disks is painful and takes 24 hours.  This is
   a hardware failure.

   (3) Mail delivery.  For the past several months there have been many
   problems with Unix mail delivery.  These problems were caused by
   errors introduced into the mailer configuration several months ago
   when the Sun named life was made responsible for final mail delivery.
   Furthermore, at that time a new version of the mailer was installed
   that was incompatible with the release of Unix that we are running.
   The result was that if a message was not delivered immediately it was
   then queued, but usually never delivered.  Some 5000 messages suffered
   this fate.  This is a software problem.

   We've attempted to correct the mailer configuration (by bringing up a
   new operating system version) and believe that the messages are now
   being delivered more reliably.  However, there are still problems with
   the mailer, though we believe they are not affecting delivery.  Sun is
   currently investigating a bug report that we submitted.

thanx -len