[can.uucp] new uucp maps are out

rayan@ai.toronto.edu (Rayan Zachariassen) (04/10/89)

I edited the submissions for the following hosts:

acis      cgate     dvinci    gandalf   idcmp     julie     qcc-hal   van-bc
aimed     cognos    dybbuk    gompa     isdserv   nrcaer    regina    zephyr
attcan    darkover  fammed    hybrid    ists      phenix    utas

If you are on this list please retrieve your map from the posting in
comp.mail.maps and use it as the baseline for future submissions.
The editing is typically a minor cosmetic change to keep the map in
line with the standard (remember that the #X lines may be parsed
by programs).

Once again, do NOT send submissions to my personal account, use utai!path
for normal updates and rutgers!uucpmap for new hosts.

Btw, the deadline at Rutgers is the 8th of each month, so if you get in
the habit of sending updates at the beginning of a month it is usually
well-timed for the next posting.

Would you be interested in a scheme that allows you to update your
map entry via a server of some kind?  If so, how?  My major concern with
that is that I've got no syntax-checking program to check entries
automatically.  Are people disciplined enough that it isn't necessary?

rayan

lyndon@aurthanc.AthabascaU.CA (Lyndon Nerenberg) (04/12/89)

I like the idea of the server, however I think some form of
syntax checking is mandatory, otherwise you're just going to
create more work for yourself.

It shouldn't be too difficult to build a grammer specifying the
format of the map entries. If the map "checker" doesn't like
what it sees it can just bounce the message back to the originator
(hopefully with a reasonable diagnostic).

One thing that does concern me about this method is it seems to
make life simpler for someone to forge a map entry for a site.
One advantage of having a human in the chain is s/he can spot
questionable submissions and verify them with the site admins.
The software could be built to only accept updates from mail
addresses in the existing map's #E entry. Unfortunately, this
doesn't always reflect reality. Witness the map entries for
ncc and apss. Although I'm no longer listed as the contact
person for either of these sites, I still handle submitting
the map updates.

All in all, I think it's a good idea and should be pursued
further.

eric@becker.UUCP (Eric Siegerman) (04/18/89)

In article <89Apr10.101145edt.38137@neat.ai.toronto.edu> rayan@ai.toronto.edu (Rayan Zachariassen) writes:
>I edited the submissions for the following hosts:
>[list of hosts, plus other stuff, deleted]
>
>Would you be interested in a scheme that allows you to update your
>map entry via a server of some kind? If so, how?

It makes no difference to me whether Rayan or a program collates
kneller's map entry into the lists.  Seems to me that Rayan's
time/energy is the issue...

>My major concern with
>that is that I've got no syntax-checking program to check entries
>automatically.  Are people disciplined enough that it isn't necessary?

All but the ones you named :-).  Seriously, there will always be
errors in submitted map entries.  I suspect it's not as much a
matter of discipline as of the simple fact that people make
mistakes.  Writing a map entry is as error-prone as writing a
program -- less intrinsically difficult, but most of us spend a
lot more of our time writing code than we do writing map entries,
which goes a long way toward cancelling out the fact that it's an
intrinsically easier task.  (With the proliferation of personal
Usenet nodes, an increasing number of submitted map entries will
be their authors' first attempt!)

I'm not crying doom here, or arguing that Rayan (or anyone)
*should* continue to manually process map entries.  None of this
argues against a syntax-checking program.  My point is simply
that utai!path will always receive a few erroneous submissions,
and that any scheme which assumes the contrary is sure to
encounter occasional problems.

--
Eric Siegerman, Toronto, Ont.
eks@kneller.UUCP,  eric@becker.UUCP,  ...!utzoo!mnetor!becker!kneller!eks