[gnu.emacs.gnus] Gnews 2.0

umerin@HPLABS.HP.COM (Masanobu UMEDA) (10/26/88)

   Date: 25 Oct 88 17:01:58 GMT
   From: flab!fgw!uunet!allosaur.cis.ohio-state.edu!bob  (Bob Sutterfield)

   >Both are NNTP news reader clients.  gnews can also be configured to
   >run from a locally-spooled news system.

   GNUS may also be configurable for a local news system, but I haven't
   brought it up here yet so I'm not sure about it.

Not only local news spool, but also private MH folders and articles
saved using GNUS are readable inside GNUS. mhspool.el which enables
GNUS to read private directory will come with GNUS 3.10.

Masanobu UMEDA
umerin@flab.flab.Fujitsu.JUNET
umerin%flab.flab.Fujitsu.JUNET@uunet.uu.NET

umerin@UUNET.UU.NET (Masanobu UMEDA) (11/04/88)

   Date: 26 Oct 88 07:50:38 GMT
   From: flab!fgw!uunet!tut.cis.ohio-state.edu!mailrus!um-math!hyc  (Howard Chu)

   In article <25645@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu> bob@allosaur.cis.ohio-state.edu (Bob Sutterfield) writes:
   >GNUS may also be configurable for a local news system, but I haven't
   >brought it up here yet so I'm not sure about it.

   GNUS can be configured for a local news system, but this still isn't as
   flexible as I'd like. On the network I'm currently maintaining, every
   node NFS mounts the spool directory to allow "local" reading, and I use
   NNTP to post, to avoid file locking/overwrite problems. This is simple
   to configure for in rn, slightly more difficult for postnews, and somewhat
   confusing in gnus.

Post command in nnspool.el calls inews program. So, if you replace
inews, you can post messages by your favorite method.

NNTPnized inews program which is included in standard nntp package can
be used in this case, I think.