[gnu.emacs.gnus] GNUS mail, KILL files

tale@pawl.rpi.edu (David C Lawrence) (01/21/89)

(If you didn't see my first posting of Distribution "gnu", please let
me know.)

Comments on GNUS (it may have just been an oversight that my digging
through all the code missed turning up the answer to any or all of
these questions):

-- mhspool is provided, I use Brian Reid's mh package for 99% of my mail
transactions and rmail is broken here, though smail will supposedly
work.  I just mailed a guy a message about his 24 line .signature
earlier today and haven't gotten a failure message yet, but then again
he never wrote back to flame me.

I would like to use mh-smail rather than smail to shuck off my replies
to articles.  I would rather not have to edit gnus.el to do it, but
add it as a variable or hook.  I don't like to make hardcode changes
to someone elses hardcode and some other people ar rpi that would get
this from me that prefer smail might not appreciate the mh-smail.  Is
there a quick and easy way to do this?

-- I tossed up a very quick elisp routine that converts rn KILL files
to GNUS KILL files.  It really wasn't hard at all; an enhancement for
me to do tomorrow will be to add routines for it to search down
hierarchal paths for the rn kill files and return non-hierarchal kill
files.  I'll post this soon; I'd like to see anyone else's conversion
programmes though if they exist.

-- bursting Peter Neumann's Risks Digest didn't work.  What is the
format problem?

-- (an inews question) I ended up having to uncomment the .signature
code because inews wasn't automatically appending .signatures.  Is my
inews broken?

For reference: You're running GNUS 3.10 with NNTP 3.7

(Well, I don't know what -you're- running, but this is what I got from
(insert (gnus-version)))

Thanks in advance for any help which you might provide.

Dave
--
      tale@rpitsmts.bitnet, tale%mts@rpitsgw.rpi.edu, tale@pawl.rpi.edu

mike@nexus.yorku.ca (Mike Marques) (01/22/89)

Greetings...

>-- bursting Peter Neumann's Risks Digest didn't work.  What is the
>format problem?

I found that I couldn't burst any Digests at all except for one.
The problem appears to be that undigestify.el does not like the individual
messages in a digest not to have To: fields.
I modified undigestify.el's following code (add lines with >) :
			   (or (mail-fetch-field "Reply-To")
			       (mail-fetch-field "To")
			       (mail-fetch-field "Apparently-To")
>			       ; CMM, added the following, seems to work with
>			       ; most digests (all so far)
>			       (mail-fetch-field "From")))

Sorry this is not a diff but there are other changes in that file which do not
pertain to this problem.  Just load the modified file after you load rmail.
I do it in my .emacs:
;; load rmail so we replace undigestify-rmail-message with our own
(load "rmail" nil t nil)
(load "undigestify.el" nil t nil) ; assumes file is in load-path

There might be a better solution but I'm not specially good at hacking
Gnu-Emacs (yet ;-))

							Mike

Mike Marques                         | Usenet: ......!utzoo!yunexus!mike
York University (Computing Services) |         mike@nexus.yorku.ca
-------------------------------------| Bitnet: mike@libra.yorku.ca
Only visiting this planet...         | Voice:  (416) 736-5257

umerin@photon.stars.flab.fujitsu.junet (Masanobu UMEDA) (01/26/89)

   From: Mike Marques <flab!fgw!uunet!nexus.yorku.ca!mike>
   Date: 	Sat, 21 Jan 89 15:30:32 EST

   >-- bursting Peter Neumann's Risks Digest didn't work.  What is the
   >format problem?

   I found that I couldn't burst any Digests at all except for one.
   The problem appears to be that undigestify.el does not like the individual
   messages in a digest not to have To: fields.
   I modified undigestify.el's following code (add lines with >) :
			      (or (mail-fetch-field "Reply-To")
				  (mail-fetch-field "To")
				  (mail-fetch-field "Apparently-To")
   >			       ; CMM, added the following, seems to work with
   >			       ; most digests (all so far)
   >			       (mail-fetch-field "From")))

Please use the following hook. That's all. This will be a default in
the next coming GNUS 3.11. Sorry for my late reply.

(setq gnus-Select-digest-hook
      '(lambda ()
	 (or (mail-position-on-field "Reply-to" t)
	     (progn
	       (mail-position-on-field "Reply-to")
	       (insert (gnus-fetch-field "From"))))))

Masanobu UMEDA
umerin@flab.Fujitsu.JUNET
umerin%flab.Fujitsu.JUNET@uunet.uu.NET

umerin@photon.stars.flab.fujitsu.junet (Masanobu UMEDA) (01/26/89)

   Date: 21 Jan 89 06:40:35 GMT
   From: flab!fgw!uunet!pawl.rpi.edu!tale  (David C Lawrence)

   I would like to use mh-smail rather than smail to shuck off my replies
   to articles.  I would rather not have to edit gnus.el to do it, but
   add it as a variable or hook.

I'm not a user of mh-e, but a user of Rmail. I'm not familier with MH,
so I don't know what should I do. Can anyone help me and other mh-e users?

   -- I tossed up a very quick elisp routine that converts rn KILL files
   to GNUS KILL files.  It really wasn't hard at all; an enhancement for
   me to do tomorrow will be to add routines for it to search down
   hierarchal paths for the rn kill files and return non-hierarchal kill
   files.  I'll post this soon; I'd like to see anyone else's conversion
   programmes though if they exist.

If the variable gnus-use-long-file-name is nil, hierarchal (directory)
form is used as same as rn. However, the conversion is still needed.

   -- (an inews question) I ended up having to uncomment the .signature
   code because inews wasn't automatically appending .signatures.  Is my
   inews broken?

I think your inews is correct.

Sorry for my late reply.