[gnu.emacs.gnus] New features of the coming GNUS 3.12

umerin@photon.stars.flab.fujitsu.junet (Masanobu UMEDA) (04/19/89)

Today I'd like to introduce some new features of the GNUS 3.12.

(1) GNUS's windows will be fully configurable.  For example, you will
be able to display three windows, Newsgroup, Subject, and Article,
simultaneously.  This feature will be quite useful for slow speed
terminal users.

(2) Newsgroups will be able to be killed/yanked in the Newsgroup
buffer.  The killed newsgroups will be deleted from .newsrc, but it
will be able to be yanked back afterwards.  These commands will also
be able to to be used for reordering newsgroups.

(3) mhspool.el will be able to coexist with nntp.el or nnspool.el.
You won't have to load nntp.el or nnspool.el after using mhspool.el.

(4) gnus.el will be divided into three files: gnus.el, gnuspost.el,
and gnusmisc.el.  The startup will be faster when only reading news.

(5) New followup and reply commands will be added.  They will insert
original message automatically like `F' command of rn.

(6) New catch up commands will be added.  They will preserve marks.

(7) The function gnus-kill will skip any marked articles normally.

In addition, internals of GNUS will be changed so that user level
extension and customization will be easy or possible.  For example,
you will be able to define new variable and save it in .newsrc.el.

GNUS 3.12 is now in beta-test at Fujitsu laboratories.  The next
version will be submitted to comp.emacs in May or June.  Anyway, I
will be off two or three weeks from tomorrow (April 20).  So, I won't
be able to answer to your questions.  Sorry.

Masanobu UMEDA
umerin@flab.Fujitsu.JUNET
umerin%flab.Fujitsu.JUNET@uunet.uu.NET

rich@sendai.ann-arbor.mi.us (K. Richard Magill) (04/20/89)

   From: umerin@photon.stars.flab.fujitsu.junet (Masanobu UMEDA)
   Newsgroups: gnu.emacs.gnus
   Date: 19 Apr 89 07:54:06 GMT

   GNUS 3.12 is now in beta-test at Fujitsu laboratories.  The next
   version will be submitted to comp.emacs in May or June.  Anyway, I
   will be off two or three weeks from tomorrow (April 20).  So, I won't
   be able to answer to your questions.  Sorry.

Absolutely yea to everything except comp.emacs.  How about gnu.emacs
or gnu.emacs.gnus instead?  I don't read comp.emacs as all the gnu
users seem to have migrated to gnu.*; at least the more interesting
ones.  comp.emacs seems to be full of non-gnu emacs's.