[gnu.emacs.gnus] sort-of-novice GNUS question

wisner@mica.Berkeley.EDU (Bill Wisner) (06/13/89)

How do I get C-c C-y in news-reply mode to prefix yanked lines with angle
brackets instead of three spaces?

karl@giza.cis.ohio-state.edu (Karl Kleinpaste) (06/13/89)

wisner@mica.berkeley.edu writes:
   How do I get C-c C-y in news-reply mode to prefix yanked lines with angle
   brackets instead of three spaces?

I don't think you can unless you write your own mail-yank-original.

GNUS borrows heavily from rnewspost.el, which in turn borrows heavily
from sendmail.el.  About 4 function calls deep, C-c C-y turns into a
call to mail-yank-original in sendmail.el.  The ARG for this function
determines the number of spaces of indentation, default 3, and use of
just universal-argument causes it not to indent or strip any headers.
But there is no provision for a different "quoting character."

--Karl

jeffb@grace.cs.washington.edu (Jeff Bowden) (06/13/89)

In article <KARL.89Jun12222222@giza.cis.ohio-state.edu> karl@giza.cis.ohio-state.edu (Karl Kleinpaste) writes:

>wisner@mica.berkeley.edu writes:
>  How do I get C-c C-y in news-reply mode to prefix yanked lines with angle
>  brackets instead of three spaces?
>
>I don't think you can unless you write your own mail-yank-original.

I hacked sendmail.el to do this.  Perhaps someone should do it right and make
a variable for the quote char.  Here's a diff for the 18.52 sendmail.el

381,382c381,382
< 	  (indent-with-angle-bracket start (mark)
< 				     (if arg (prefix-numeric-value arg) 3)))
---
> 	  (indent-rigidly start (mark)
> 			  (if arg (prefix-numeric-value arg) 3)))
385,403d384
<
< (defun indent-with-angle-bracket (start end arg)
<   "Insert a single '>' at the start of each line preserving indentation.
<    `arg' is ignored (TODO:  insert `arg' '>'s)
<    Called from a program, takes three arguments, START, END and ARG."
<   (interactive "r\np")
<   (save-excursion
<     (goto-char end)
<     (setq end (point-marker))
<     (goto-char start)
<     (or (bolp) (forward-line 1))
<     (while (< (point) end)
<       (let ((indent (current-indentation)))
< 	(delete-region (point) (progn (skip-chars-forward " \t") (point)))
< 	(insert '">")
< 	(or (eolp)
< 	    (indent-to (max 0 (+ indent 0)) 0)))
<       (forward-line 1))
<     (move-marker end nil)))
--
"Liberty and Security are at war.  Which side are you on?"

warsaw@cme.nbs.gov (Barry A. Warsaw) (06/14/89)

on 12 Jun 89 22:23:52 GMT,
wisner@mica.Berkeley.EDU (Bill Wisner) said:

Bill> How do I get C-c C-y in news-reply mode to prefix yanked lines with angle
Bill> brackets instead of three spaces?

Bill> w

Well, you could use a package that I wrote and posted to gnu.emacs a
month ago called "superyank".  You will notice that I've attributed
the original posting's lines by the attribution string "Bill> ".  This
is an example of non-nested attributions which are (IMHO) superior to
nested attributions (ie. >>> Someone wrote this).  Superyank will let
you do either kind of citation style, and it will let you choose the
citation character.  There are other features which I won't go into
here but which make replies much easier.

Superyank works with RMAIL replies and gnus replies.  If you are
interested in getting a copy of the code, and can't get it from the
gnu.emacs newsgroup, or just want more information, send me some
email.

-Barry

NAME: Barry A. Warsaw                USMAIL: National Institute of Standards
TELE: (301) 975-3460                         and Technology (formerly NBS)
UUCP: {...}!uunet!cme-durer!warsaw           Rm. B-124, Bldg. 220
ARPA: warsaw@cme.nist.gov                    Gaithersburg, MD 20899