[gnu.emacs.gnus] message IDs

page%swap@Sun.COM (Bob Page) (07/07/89)

shadow@pawl.rpi.edu (Deven T. Corzine) wrote:
>Do you find it likely that you will post two separate messages
>from machines using the same hostname in the same second??

I do.  All the time.  I moderate comp.sources/binaries.amiga, and
have a program that does the posting.  On multi-part postings, they
all go out at the same time.

Many sites generate message-id's at a "news gateway", something like:
	<NEWS.89Jun01235959@somewhere.edu>
this is especially true for mailing lists that are gatewayed into newsgroups.
In this case it's easy to get the same message-IDs on more than one article.

>Users OFTEN see Message-ID's, particularly in attribution lines when

Well, it's time to change it.  My attribution lines have always left out
the article ID.  After all, it's in the References: line.

..bob