[gnu.emacs.gnus] .signature

m1tag00@mqws1.fed.frb.gov (Tim A. Grunwald) (08/17/89)

	When I posted with Gnews my .signature file was included only
once.  Why is it being included twice when I use gnus?
--
	Tim Grunwald
	Federal Reserve Board, Washington, DC, 20551

raulmill@usc.edu (Raul) (08/17/89)

In article <M1TAG00.89Aug16140234@mqws1.fed.frb.gov> m1tag00@mqws1.fed.frb.gov (Tim A. Grunwald) writes:
=>         When I posted with Gnews my .signature file was included only
=> once.  Why is it being included twice when I use gnus?
=> --
=>         Tim Grunwald
=>         Federal Reserve Board, Washington, DC, 20551
=>         uucp: uunet!fed!m1tag00   internet: m1tag00@fed.frb.gov
=>         Tim Grunwald
=>         Federal Reserve Board, Washington, DC, 20551
=>         uucp: uunet!fed!m1tag00   internet: m1tag00@fed.frb.gov

I have been having a similar problem with gnus.  I think gnus and
inews (which I understand gnus uses to post to the net) are both
appending my .signature file.  Anyone want to tackle this one?

--
Raul Rockwell                                      |
INTERNET:   raulmill@usc.edu                       |

karl@dinosaur.cis.ohio-state.edu (Karl Kleinpaste) (08/18/89)

raulmill@usc.edu writes:
   I have been having a similar problem with gnus.  I think gnus and
   inews (which I understand gnus uses to post to the net) are both
   appending my .signature file.  Anyone want to tackle this one?

This is true.  On a system using a local news spool, with an ordinary
2.11.x inews, inews itself will add your .signature to all articles.
Unfortunately, GNUS also wants to add .signature for you, on the
assumption (a bogus one, for the local spool case) that it is speaking
NNTP to a remote system's inews which will have no access to one's
~/.signature.  When I first tried out GNUS 3.10 many months ago, I
questioned this behavior but the author disagreed that it was wrong.
I have resorted to a fairly disgusting hack on 3.1[012], each time a
new one has come out, so that GNUS does not, by default, do this.  Our
environment uses an apparent local news spool everywhere, even though
we use NNTP, by use of NFS-mounted news spool and an NNTP inews that
does .signature inclusion, just like the ordinary inews.

--Karl

raulmill@usc.edu (Raul) (08/18/89)

karl@dinosaur.cis.ohio-state.edu writes:
   raulmill@usc.edu writes:
      I have been having a similar problem with gnus.  I think gnus
      and inews are both appending my .signature file.  Anyone want to
      tackle this one?

   This is true.  On a system using a local news spool, with an
   ordinary 2.11.x inews, inews itself will add your .signature to all
   articles.  Unfortunately, GNUS also wants to add .signature for you
   . . .
   I have resorted to a fairly disgusting hack on 3.1[012], each time
   a new one has come out, so that GNUS does not, by default, do this.
   . . .

Perhaps this letter I received would be of benefit to the net:

From: wgb%tntdev.tnt.COM%cs.utexas.edu%harvard.uucp%ll-xn.uucp@usc.edu (William G. Bunton)

   (setq gnus-signature-file nil)		;; inews does it automagically

   Bill
   --
   William G. Bunton                                        wgb@tntdev.tnt.com
   Tools & Techniques, Inc. Austin, TX        {cs.utexas.edu,uunet}!tntdev!wgb

wjc@ho5cad.ATT.COM (Bill Carpenter) (08/18/89)

In article <KARL.89Aug18000428@dinosaur.cis.ohio-state.edu> karl@dinosaur.cis.ohio-state.edu (Karl Kleinpaste) writes:

> Unfortunately, GNUS also wants to add .signature for you, on the
> I have resorted to a fairly disgusting hack on 3.1[012], each time a
> new one has come out, so that GNUS does not, by default, do this.  Our

I guess I'm a little confused when you say you had to resort to a hack
to get around this.  It sounds to me like what

	(setq gnus-signature-file nil)

is for.  I use this even though I'm on NNTP because I prefer to add
the signature myself (another way of saying that there is no way to
suppress it on a per-posting basis).

So, what am I not understanding about your problem?
--
   Bill Carpenter         att!ho5cad!wjc  or  attmail!bill

kim@kannel.lut.fi (Kimmo Suominen) (08/18/89)

   From: karl@dinosaur.cis.ohio-state.edu (Karl Kleinpaste)
   Newsgroups: gnu.emacs.gnus
   Date: 18 Aug 89 04:04:28 GMT

   This is true.  On a system using a local news spool, with an ordinary
   2.11.x inews, inews itself will add your .signature to all articles.

I'm running GNUS on a machine that has a local news spool and I haven't
encountered a problem with signatures.

Kim
--
( Kimmo Suominen             Electronic Mail on Internet:  kim@kannel.lut.fi )