[gnu.emacs.gnus] Tiny bug in gnus.el

tjfs@tadtec.uucp (Tim Steele) (09/15/89)

There seems to be a small bug in gnus.el.

When the variable gnus-use-generic-from is turned on to prevent
unwanted 'tadtec.tadtec.uucp' addresses being generated, although this
fixes the From: heaeder it doesn't fix the Message-ID: header.  The
lisp hack below seems to correct the problem:

> (defun gnus-inews-insert-headers ()
>   "Prepare article headers.
>   Path:, From:, Subject:, Message-ID: and Distribution: are generated.
> ;;  (let* ((domain-name (gnus-inews-domain-name))   ;; old version
>     (let* ((domain-name (gnus-inews-domain-name gnus-use-generic-from))

Tim
--
tjfs@tadtec.uucp   ..!uunet!mcvax!ukc!tadtec!tjfs
Tadpole Technology plc, Titan House, Castle Park, CAMBRIDGE, CB3 0AY, UK

tale@pawl.rpi.edu (David C Lawrence) (09/15/89)

In <TJFS.89Sep14183031@tadtec.uucp> tjfs@tadtec.uucp (Tim Steele) writes:
Tim> When the variable gnus-use-generic-from is turned on to prevent
Tim> unwanted 'tadtec.tadtec.uucp' addresses being generated, although this
Tim> fixes the From: heaeder it doesn't fix the Message-ID: header.

This is not a bug, but rather a design decision (some people are still
given to call such things bugs, but I don't).  The idea sits behind
the fact that many machines can be hiding behind a subnet and that the
full hostname, not just a subnet name, is part of what makes the
Message-ID unique.  Something else appears to be defined incorrectly
if you are getting tadtec.tadtec.uucp, unless you are really doing
UUCP subnetting (!).

Personally, I got tired of that long Message-ID which GNUS generates
and it is commented out of our installed GNUS.  It is unnecessary
because all posting is done via NNTP and the POST command, such that
News generates its own short Message-ID.  It takes away an element of
personalization, but overall is much nicer for References: and
citation lines.

Dave
--
 (setq mail '("tale@pawl.rpi.edu" "tale@itsgw.rpi.edu" "tale@rpitsmts.bitnet"))