umerin@photon.stars.flab.fujitsu.junet (Masanobu UMEDA) (06/29/89)

   Date: 23 Jun 89 17:33:20 GMT
   From: m1tag00%fed.frb.gov%fed@uunet.uu.net  (Tim A. Grunwald)

	   I use Gnews as my news reader.  It works pretty well.  I
   especially like the indexing capability of Gnews.

GNUS has the same functionaly, of course.

	   One feature missing from Gnews that I would really like
   is a dired mode on all the news group names (an option for subscribed
   groups only, or all news groups).  One could move randomly through all
   the news group names reading only those that interested them that day.

GNUS has all the functionalities you want.

	   Does GNUS solve any of the problems I have with Gnews?
	   What features does GNUS have that Gnews doesn't and vice versa?

GNUS uses three Emacs buffers: Newsgroup buffer is for browsing
newsgroups, Subject buffer for browsing subjects and other important
headers in a newsgroup, and Article buffer for browsing an article.

You can select a newsgroup in the Newsgroup buffer using dired like
interface.  When you select a newsgroup in this buffer, the Subject
buffer and the Article buffer are displayed instead of the Newsgroup
buffer, and the point is placed in the Subject buffer.  In Subject
buffer, you can browse through headers in the newsgroup, and you can
read articles you are interested in.

In addition, these window configurations can be customized using an
Elisp variable.  For example, you can display these three buffers at
the same time.

Please try GNUS!

Masanobu UMEDA
umerin@flab.Fujitsu.CO.JP
umerin%flab.Fujitsu.JUNET@uunet.uu.NET

rich@sendai.sendai.ann-arbor.mi.us (K. Richard Magill) (06/29/89)

I used Gnews for as long as I could stand it; then went back to rn.  I
now use gnus exclusively.  Purely subjectively, it *feels* faster than
rn on my machines.

In article <442@mqws2.fed.FRB.GOV> m1tag00@fed.frb.gov (Tim A. Grunwald) writes:

   Does GNUS solve any of the problems I have with Gnews?

Nearly all of them.  There is actually a dired-by-newsgroup in gnews
someplace although I never really got it working.

   What features does GNUS have that Gnews doesn't and vice versa?

(I speak from 3.11, I haven't put up 3.12 yet.)

GNUS:

* speed.
* works out of the box.
* speed.
* smooth newsgroup ordering. (as of 3.12 or 3.11+tale's hacks.)
* uses (or can use) standard .newsrc.
* but weak on kill file handling.
* online help. (info page.)

Gnews:

* nearly infinite flexibility but doesn't really work "out of the box".
* no help. (or is there one now?)
* with "enough" horsepower and "some startup cost" it's an impressive
newsreader.

Try it. it doesn't take up much space and since it pretty much works
"out of the box" there isn't much startup cost associated with it.
--
rich.

msb@ho5cad.att.com (Mike Balenger) (06/29/89)

> 	I use Gnews as my news reader.  It works pretty well.  I
> especially like the indexing capability of Gnews.

That's the default in gnus.

> 	Gnews is a little sluggish at times though.  Going from
> one news group to another can take anywhere from 5 to 20 seconds.
> When a new news group arrives it can take 30 to 60 seconds to
> get the names of the new groups.

Yeah, that pissed me off, too.  I switched from Gnews to gnus, and was
pleased with the faster response.

> 	One feature missing from Gnews that I would really like
> is a dired mode on all the news group names (an option for subscribed
> groups only, or all news groups).  One could move randomly through all
> the news group names reading only those that interested them that day.

This is what I figured you meant by dired mode.  It's the default.
Initially, you are presented with a list of groups, like this:
      4: comp.risks
     85: comp.software-eng
 *    1: gnu.announce
     30: gnu.emacs.bug

you then select a group, and get a list of subjects, like this:
  111: [1430:bob@tut.cis.] GNUS 3.12 (07 of 10)
  112: [1388:bob@tut.cis.] GNUS 3.12 (09 of 10)
  113: [1362:bob@tut.cis.] GNUS 3.12 (08 of 10)
  114: [820:bob@tut.cis.o] GNUS 3.12 (10 of 10)
D 118:+[ 22:m1tag00@fed.f] GNUS vs. Gnews
  119: [ 40:umerin@photon] GNUS vs. Gnews

You then select (or delete) an article and read (or skip) it.  Or
follow-up, or save as mail, or save as a file, or reply, or patch, or

You bounce between selecting groups in newsgroup-mode, and selecting
articles in subject-mode.  (I probably didn't get the names right, but
that's the idea.)  This (dired/index) interface has allowed me to
read/weed articles much more efficiently.  With Gnews, I had to see
the article before I realized I didn't want to read it, and I had to
be in a newsgroup before I realized that it was (was not) important.
As you mentioned, this could take 5-30 seconds.  Quite an investment
only to discover that you're not interested in the info that was
returned.  There was no easy way to get a big picture of the
group/article organization and pick out the high priority items.  With
gnus, I CAN get this picture, and get much more info for a smaller
investment in time.

<cute quote>            Michael S. Balenger             (201) 949-8789
<cute disclaimer>       AT&T Bell Labs
                        Room 1L-405
msb@ho5cad.att.com      Crawfords Corner Road
att!ho5cad!msb          Holmdel, NJ   07733

kim@kannel.lut.fi (Kimmo Suominen) (06/30/89)

In article <RICH.89Jun29025958@sendai.sendai.ann-arbor.mi.us>

   From: rich@sendai.sendai.ann-arbor.mi.us (K. Richard Magill)
   Newsgroups: gnu.emacs.gnus
   Date: 29 Jun 89 06:59:58 GMT
   Sender: rich@sendai.UUCP

   I used Gnews for as long as I could stand it; then went back to rn.  I
   now use gnus exclusively.  Purely subjectively, it *feels* faster than
   rn on my machines.

Even if GNUS feels faster than rn, there's a program that feels even faster
and that is nn.  The reason I'm still using GNUS and not nn is, that I'm feel
more familiar with the key bindings in GNUS and the overall method of handling
articles.  And I'm using GNU Emacs all the time when I'm working, so it is
very handy to edit files, read news and handle mail all with the same program.
Earlier I had to jump between programs, which sometimes got very frustrating
when waiting for things to load up.

Kim
--
 ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
( Kimmo Suominen              Electronic Mail on Internet:  kim@kannel.lut.fi )

marvit@hplpm.hpl.hp.com (Peter Marvit) (09/28/89)

Could someone post a short functional diff between GNUS and Gnews.  I'm a
dedicated GNUS user, myself...

	-Peter "G 'r Me" Marvit
	 HP Labs

felix@AI.SRI.COM (Francois Felix INGRAND) (10/01/89)

In article <MARVIT.89Sep27195723@hplpm.hpl.hp.com>, marvit@hplpm (Peter Marvit) writes:
>Could someone post a short functional diff between GNUS and Gnews.  I'm a
>dedicated GNUS user, myself...

I started with gnus a long time ago, but now I am a dedicated Gnews
user... (sound like a commercial) and I must say that it is the
"fastest" tool you can find to read news (I do not mean fast in term
of code, but in term of how long time you spend to read news
everyday). The index mode is really powerful, especially if you play
with the hook stuff. In index mode, most of the heavy newsgroups such
as comp.sys.mac or or comp.sys.sun are read in a couple of minutes,
and it is fully customizable...

If you want some example of customization, check the Info doc or send
me a mail.

Give it a try... You will be impressed.

PS: I must confess that I have not tried gnus lately... so maybe the
last gnus version are providing some new interesting stuff.

shadow@pawl.rpi.edu (Deven T. Corzine) (10/02/89)

On 30 Sep 89 22:56:28 GMT,
felix@AI.SRI.COM (Francois Felix INGRAND) said:

felix> I started with gnus a long time ago, but now I am a dedicated
felix> Gnews user... (sound like a commercial) and I must say that it
felix> is the "fastest" tool you can find to read news (I do not mean
felix> fast in term of code, but in term of how long time you spend to
felix> read news everyday).

This is interesting; most testimony I've seen tends towards the other
direction.  That is, Gnews users who try GNUS and find it much faster
and more convenient, and switch.  I can't offer an opinion, as I have
never used Gnews.  But I do like GNUS.

As far as the "fastest" newsreader, that award probably belongs to nn.
It flys through newsreading, but it's only optimized for a particular
style of reading news.  I find it doesn't much appeal to me, although
it does have some strong points.

Deven
--
Deven T. Corzine        Internet:  deven@rpi.edu, shadow@pawl.rpi.edu
Snail:  2151 12th St. Apt. 4, Troy, NY 12180   Phone:  (---) --none--

msb@ho5cad.att.com (Mike Balenger) (10/02/89)

In article <SHADOW.89Oct1221126@pawl.rpi.edu> shadow@pawl.rpi.edu (Deven T. Corzine) writes:
> On 30 Sep 89 22:56:28 GMT,
> felix@AI.SRI.COM (Francois Felix INGRAND) said:

> felix> I started with gnus a long time ago, but now I am a dedicated
> felix> Gnews user... (sound like a commercial) and I must say that it
> felix> is the "fastest" tool you can find to read news (I do not mean
> felix> fast in term of code, but in term of how long time you spend to
> felix> read news everyday).

> This is interesting; most testimony I've seen tends towards the other
> direction.

I'll second that.  I used  Gnews for about a   year.  I've been  using
gnus   for  about  5 months.    Although gnus is    SLOWER  fetching a
particular  article,  I can read   news lots FASTER  with   gnus.  The
summary allows me to prune  unwanted articles without previewing them.
It's easier to   learn,    more   powerful,  more  intuitive,     more
customizable, uses STANDARD .newsrc format, runs right out of the box.
In short, it's more fit for use -- it's just lot's better.

Oh, gnus is  constantly being enhanced.   Last I heard,  Gnews had not
been worked on in a year.  No big deal if you like one or the other as
it curently stands, though.

BOTH  products are better than  any stand alone  news reader.  There's
lots to be said for having your editor and mailer handy while you read
news.

felix@AI.SRI.COM (Francois Felix INGRAND) (10/03/89)

In article <MSB.89Oct2095104@ho5cad.att.com>, msb@ho5cad (Mike Balenger) writes:
>In article <SHADOW.89Oct1221126@pawl.rpi.edu> shadow@pawl.rpi.edu (Deven T. Corzine) writes:
>> On 30 Sep 89 22:56:28 GMT,
>> felix@AI.SRI.COM (Francois Felix INGRAND) said:
>
>> felix> I started with gnus a long time ago, but now I am a dedicated
>> felix> Gnews user... (sound like a commercial) and I must say that it
>> felix> is the "fastest" tool you can find to read news (I do not mean
>> felix> fast in term of code, but in term of how long time you spend to
>> felix> read news everyday).
>
>> This is interesting; most testimony I've seen tends towards the other
>> direction.
>
>I'll second that.  I used  Gnews for about a   year.  I've been  using
>gnus   for  about  5 months.    Although gnus is    SLOWER  fetching a
>particular  article,  I can read   news lots FASTER  with   gnus.  The
>summary allows me to prune  unwanted articles without previewing them.
>It's easier to   learn,    more   powerful,  more  intuitive,     more
>customizable, uses STANDARD .newsrc format, runs right out of the box.
>In short, it's more fit for use -- it's just lot's better.

I must say that I disagree with some of your comments above, but most
of them are subjective anyway... so I am not going to argue, it is
obviously a question of taste.

In general, I will say that everybody has his own style to read news.
I like to be able to:
- setup my own format line in index mode depending of the newsgroup,
- be in index-mode automatically for some newsgroups not others,
- index only if there are more than *variable* article,
- use abbrev for newsgroup name,
- have some index sorted on subject or date or not at all,
- play with the most complex signature mechanism designed by a human brain...
- switch in digest mode automatically (by newsgroup or article),
- etc

The last time I tried gnus, it was not providing these features. That's all.

>Oh, gnus is  constantly being enhanced.  Last I heard,  Gnews had not
>been worked on in a year.  No big deal if you like one or the other as
>it curently stands, though.

The last I have heard about Gnews is that Matthew Wiener (sp?) is
working on a new version...

Anyway, it is no big deal indeed... If you like it, keep it. If you
don't, try another one.
Francois Felix INGRAND                          SRI International, AIC
felix@AI.SRI.COM                                333, Ravenswood Avenue
felix%AI.SRI.COM@UUNET.UU.NET                   MENLO PARK, CA 94025, USA
"Pourquoi tant de haine..." (Edika)      "Read my Lisp... No new syntax" (nil)

cks@white.toronto.edu (Chris Siebenmann) (10/04/89)

msb@ho5cad.ATT.COM (Mike Balenger) writes:
| BOTH  products are better than  any stand alone  news reader.  There's
| lots to be said for having your editor and mailer handy while you read
| news.

 Depending on what's meant by "handy", one doesn't necessarily have to
run an Emacs-based newsreading tool to achieve this; the combination
of IPC and some form of windowing let you do this fairly easily (for
example, I'm writing this reply using GNU Emacs and MH, spawned off
from an rn in another X11 window).

--
	"I shall clasp my hands together and bow to the corners of the world."
			Number Ten Ox, "Bridge of Birds"

flee@shire.cs.psu.edu (Felix Lee) (10/04/89)

Francois Felix INGRAND <felix@AI.SRI.COM> wants to:
> - setup my own format line in index mode depending of the newsgroup,
> - be in index-mode automatically for some newsgroups not others,
> - index only if there are more than *variable* article,
> - have some index sorted on subject or date or not at all,
> - switch in digest mode automatically (by newsgroup or article),

All this is doable with GNUS hooks, if you're willing to write a
little elisp code.  This may be more trouble than you wish to take.
GNUS could use more examples of interesting hooks..
--
Felix Lee	flee@shire.cs.psu.edu	*!psuvax1!flee

kjones@talos.uucp (Kyle Jones) (10/04/89)

flee@shire.cs.psu.edu (Felix Lee) writes:
 > All this is doable with GNUS hooks, if you're willing to write a
 > little elisp code.  This may be more trouble than you wish to take.
 > GNUS could use more examples of interesting hooks..

Different philosophies, I guess.  I personally do not want to program a
newsreader.  I'd much rather see carefully thought out general purpose
features, controllable by variable settings than lots of hooks.  Variables
have the advantage that the user can modify them with `M-x edit-options',
without knowing much about Lisp syntax.