[gnu.emacs.gnus] yank indentation

portuesi@tweezers.esd.sgi.com (Michael Portuesi) (10/05/89)

In article <ETXKRJG.89Oct5180326@solsta.ericsson.se> etxkrjg@solsta.ericsson.se (Kristian Jorg) writes:

   The version of GNUS I have (3.12) does not yank messages into the replies I make, in
   a nice way. The yanked text gets indented by 3 spaces. But this is not what I want!
   I want this layout:

   > yanked text...
   > yanked text...

   And the most peculiar about this is that almost all articles I have
   read already has this feature. So, have I missed something in the
   documentation or must I dig into the lisp code?
   Kristian Jorg   Ericsson Telecom AB, Sweden

Yes, I thought (and still think) quoting articles using indentation is
not as readable as prefix strings.

I looked into the GNUS code to see about fixing the problem.  GNUS
simply uses the standard GNU code in rnewspost.el to handle posts to
the net.  rnewspost.el in turn calls (mail-yank-original), defined in
sendmail.el.  Modifying this function should solve the problem.

I kind of vacillated on modifying (mail-yank-original) to insert a
prefix string, until I realized that sendmail.el also defines
(mail-fill-yanked-message), a function also used by rnewspost and
GNUS.  This function will automatically fill the paragraphs in a
yanked message, an especially handy feature if the original poster was
completely clueless about proper use of the Return key.  I couldn't
immediately see a good way of rewriting this function to handle
prefix-string quoted messages properly, so I left everything alone.

On second thought, I think even now (mail-fill-yanked-message) would
probably do a good job of trashing prefix-string quoted messages from
the net, so the problem already exists and changing things wouldn't
make matters worse.  Maybe I'll go ahead and rewrite it anyway.

			--M

--
__
\/  Michael Portuesi	Silicon Graphics Computer Systems, Inc.

"The best length for television programs is either 30 seconds or 8
hours." David Byrne

etxkrjg@solsta.ericsson.se (Kristian Jorg) (10/06/89)

USENET: etxkrjg@solsta.ericsson.se
-----------------------------------

kiravuo@kampi.hut.fi (Timo Kiravuo) (10/06/89)

In article <ETXKRJG.89Oct5180326@solsta.ericsson.se> etxkrjg@solsta.ericsson.se (Kristian Jorg) writes:

>The version of GNUS I have (3.12) does not yank messages into
>the replies I make, in a nice way.
^
This does. I don't remember where I found this code, but it
works. Don't know why, either. Put it in your .emacs file.

(setq mail-setup-hook
      (setq news-reply-mode-hook
	    '(lambda ()
	       (defvar mail-yank-indent-string ">")
	       (defun mail-yank-original (arg)
		 (interactive "P")
		 (if mail-reply-buffer
		     (let ((start (point)))
		       (delete-windows-on mail-reply-buffer)
		       (insert-buffer mail-reply-buffer)
		       (mail-yank-clear-headers start (mark))
		       (mail-yank-indent start)
		       (exchange-point-and-mark)
		       (if (not (eolp)) (insert ?\n)))))

	       (defun mail-yank-indent (start)
		 (save-excursion
		   (goto-char start)
		   (while (re-search-forward "^" (point-max) t)
		     (replace-match mail-yank-indent-string))
		   (goto-char start)
		   (while (re-search-forward
			   (concat "^" mail-yank-indent-string "[ \t]*$")
			   (point-max) t)
		     (replace-match "")))) )))

--
Timo Kiravuo
Helsinki University of Technology, Computing Center

ckd@bu-pub.bu.edu (Christopher Davis) (10/07/89)

On 5 Oct 89 12:44:07 GMT,
portuesi@tweezers.esd.sgi.com (Michael Portuesi) said:

Michael> I kind of vacillated on modifying (mail-yank-original) to insert a
Michael> prefix string, until I realized that sendmail.el also defines
Michael> (mail-fill-yanked-message), a function also used by rnewspost and
Michael> GNUS.  This function will automatically fill the paragraphs in a
Michael> yanked message, an especially handy feature if the original poster
Michael> was completely clueless about proper use of the Return key.  I
Michael> couldn't immediately see a good way of rewriting this function to
Michael> handle prefix-string quoted messages properly, so I left
Michael> everything alone.

Michael> On second thought, I think even now (mail-fill-yanked-message)
Michael> would probably do a good job of trashing prefix-string quoted
Michael> messages from the net, so the problem already exists and changing
Michael> things wouldn't make matters worse.  Maybe I'll go ahead and
Michael> rewrite it anyway.

If you really *waaaant* to....

Me?  I use Barry Warsaw's supercite (nee' superyank).  superyank (and
supercite, RSN) is on the ohio-state ftp archive, or you can send mail to
"supercite-request@cme.nist.gov" [which is also the administrivia address
for the mailing list].

Hmm... now there's an idea... gnu.emacs.supercite, gated to the mailing
list.  I'd wait until after the solid version is out, but (again) that
looks like it'll be RSN.  (I should crosspost this to gnu.config :-)
--
  Christopher Davis, BU SMG '90  <ckd@bu-pub.bu.edu>  <smghy6c@buacca.bitnet>
"Any quote short enough to be put in a .signature is too short to be any good."

warsaw@cme.nist.gov (Barry A. Warsaw) (10/18/89)

Michael> I kind of vacillated on modifying (mail-yank-original) to
Michael> insert a prefix string, until I realized that sendmail.el
Michael> also defines (mail-fill-yanked-message), a function also used
Michael> by rnewspost and GNUS.  This function will automatically fill
Michael> the paragraphs in a yanked message, an especially handy
Michael> feature if the original poster was completely clueless about
Michael> proper use of the Return key.  I couldn't immediately see a
Michael> good way of rewriting this function to handle prefix-string
Michael> quoted messages properly, so I left everything alone.

Chris> Me?  I use Barry Warsaw's supercite (nee' superyank).
Chris> superyank (and supercite, RSN) is on the ohio-state ftp
Chris> archive, or you can send mail to
Chris> "supercite-request@cme.nist.gov" [which is also the
Chris> administrivia address for the mailing list].

Supercite version 2.0 was just recently released to comp.emacs and
gnu.emacs.  Chris mentiones that ohio-state's ftp has a version of
in its archive, but I don't know if they've got version 2.0, which is
a full replacement for superyank 1.11 (and *much* more reliable,
powerful, etc).  Supercite 2.0 is available via anonymous ftp from
durer.cme.nist.gov [129.6.32.4] under pub/supercite.shar.0{1,2}.Z. I
might even email the shar files to you if send a request to the
supercite-request address below.

Chris> Hmm... now there's an idea... gnu.emacs.supercite, gated to the
Chris> mailing list.  I'd wait until after the solid version is out,
Chris> but (again) that looks like it'll be RSN.  (I should crosspost
Chris> this to gnu.config :-)

I'm glad you included the :-). Traffic on the supercite mailing list
is pretty minimal most of the time so it probably wouldn't warrant a
repeater newsgroup.  Of course, I welcome new additions to the list to
discuss bugs, improvements, etc.  I'm sure we'd even welcome
discussion on style and usage.  Anyway, here are the supercite addresses:

Send articles to supercite@cme.nist.gov or uunet!cme-durer!supercite
Send administrative queries/requests to supercite-request@cme.nist.gov
	or uunet!cme-durer!supercite-request

-Barry

NAME: Barry A. Warsaw                USMAIL: National Institute of Standards
TELE: (301) 975-3460                         and Technology (formerly NBS)
UUCP: {...}!uunet!cme-durer!warsaw           Rm. B-124, Bldg. 220
ARPA: warsaw@cme.nist.gov                    Gaithersburg, MD 20899

karl@cheops.cis.ohio-state.edu (Karl Kleinpaste) (10/19/89)

warsaw@cme.nist.gov writes:
   Chris mentiones that ohio-state's ftp has a version of
   in its archive, but I don't know if they've got version 2.0

We do now.  pub/gnu/emacs/elisp-archive/as-is/supercite.shar.0[12].Z.

--Karl