    From: gcrum@aludra.usc.edu (Gary Crum)
    Newsgroups: alt.sys.sun,news.groups
    Subject: Re: comp.sys.sun performance
    Date: 7 Feb 90 23:19:01 GMT
    Sender: news@chaph.usc.edu

    [Body of message deleted]

If I select only 1 message without the Xref, then "q"uitting is virtually
instantaneous, as is "q"uitting (e.g.,) comp.sys.sun with 161 Xref-less
messages.

The above times are very consistent and reproducible. The problem is
also reproducible on our Sequent system (same GNUS/emacs).

It seems to make no difference whether or not the Xref'ed groups are
subscribed or not. It seems to make no statistically-significant dif-
ference how many groups are Xref'ed. Most aggravatingly of all, it does
not always happen - some Xref'ed message/groups still "q"uit quickly.
It doesn't seem to matter how many groups are in my .newsrc (I tried
c-K'ing most of the unsubscribed groups out). No "obvious" difference.

Related problem, er, observation: GNUS still marks individual Xref'ed
messages are read even in the unsubscribed groups. Over half of my
.newsrc (and of course .newsrc.el) file(s) consisted of comma-separated
individual message numbers in unsubscribed groups! Any way to suppress
this?

It's been a few years since I almost learned Lisp, so I'm hoping someone
out there has already solved my problem . . . any help greatly appreciated
retroactively in advance!

					-RDH

--
  "If you build a system                 RDH@SLI.COM  |	 uunet!sli!rdh
 that even a fool could use,             Robert D. Houk