[gnu.emacs.gnus] Underlined words

watson@shinobu.sgi.com (David M. Watson, Jr.) (02/07/90)

What's the best way to make gnus article buffers interpret backspace
characters by overprinting, for example when an underline is indicated
by character; control-H; underscore?

It's annoying when words that look beautifully underlined in rn are
unreadable in gnus, but this should be easy enough to fix.

		-D.

watson@shinobu.sgi.com (David M. Watson, Jr.) (02/08/90)

Kyle Jones writes:
> Emacs highlighting support is minimal... Emacs' window management code
> behaves strangely, at least to me.

Then I suppose I'd settle for a way, in a given mode, to get emacs
simply not to display sequences of control-H; underline.

			-D.

kjones@talos.uu.net (Kyle Jones) (02/08/90)

David M. Watson, Jr. writes:
 > What's the best way to make gnus article buffers interpret backspace
 > characters by overprinting, for example when an underline is indicated
 > by character; control-H; underscore?
 >
 > It's annoying when words that look beautifully underlined in rn are
 > unreadable in gnus, but this should be easy enough to fix.

It should be, but it isn't, for two reasons:

  1. Emacs highlighting support is minimal.  Kludges are necessary to
     get Emacs to highlight a particular region of text, and these
     kludges usually require you to clear the current window for each
     new page, which means no screen update optimization. This will be a
     nightmare at low baud rates.

  2. Emacs' window management code behaves strangely, at least to me.  It
     is difficult to determine what the value of window-start is going to
     be at next redisplay, and you need to know this in order to do the
     highlighting kludge mentioned above.

karl@cheops.cis.ohio-state.edu (Karl Kleinpaste) (02/09/90)

watson@shinobu.sgi.com writes:
   Then I suppose I'd settle for a way, in a given mode, to get emacs
   simply not to display sequences of control-H; underline.

I suggest that you put gnus-Article-prepare-hook to use in such a way
that you invoke what amounts to a query-replace of "_\C-h" => ""
globally.

mdb@ESD.3Com.COM (Mark D. Baushke) (02/09/90)

On 8 Feb 90 09:34:24 GMT, watson@shinobu.sgi.com (David M. Watson, Jr.) said:

David> Then I suppose I'd settle for a way, in a given mode, to get emacs
David> simply not to display sequences of control-H; underline.

Consider using (or adapting) the nuke-nroff-bs function from man.el
... the only drawback is that it alters the buffer contents not just
the display.
--
Mark D. Baushke
mdb@ESD.3Com.COM

deven@rpi.edu (Deven T. Corzine) (02/10/90)

watson@shinobu.sgi.com writes:

watson> Then I suppose I'd settle for a way, in a given mode, to get
watson> emacs simply not to display sequences of control-H; underline.

On 8 Feb 90 19:11:13 GMT,
karl@cheops.cis.ohio-state.edu (Karl Kleinpaste) said:

Karl> I suggest that you put gnus-Article-prepare-hook to use in such
Karl> a way that you invoke what amounts to a query-replace of "_\C-h"
Karl> => "" globally.

Sometimes I begin to wonder if anyone ever reads the things I post.  I
posted a solution to this months back:

From: shadow@pawl.rpi.edu (Deven T. Corzine)

Date: 23 Sep 89 03:13:06
Newsgroups: gnu.emacs.gnus
Subject: Removing Underlining...

Quick note:

(setq gnus-Article-prepare-hook '(lambda ()
                                   (ununderline-region (point-min)
                                                       (point-max))))

will remove all underlining from an article...  [but not from the
*Subject* buffer.]

Deven

--
Deven T. Corzine        Internet:  deven@rpi.edu, shadow@pawl.rpi.edu
Snail:  2151 12th St. Apt. 4, Troy, NY 12180   Phone:  (---) --none--

--------

Geez.

Deven
--
Deven T. Corzine        Internet:  deven@rpi.edu, shadow@pawl.rpi.edu
Snail:  2151 12th St. Apt. 4, Troy, NY 12180   Phone:  (518) 274-0327