[alt.bbs] PCs and USENET

randall@uvaarpa.virginia.edu (Randall Atkinson) (10/30/89)

In article <3618@amelia.nas.nasa.gov>,
	Thomas Dell, root@vox.darkside.com writes:
>Did someone say PC<->Usenet software?
>
>There have been a LOT of questions about PC<->Usenet software lately.
>To date the only option has been to run Ufgate, which requires running
>other Fido software. I won't say what my opinion of Fido software is.

The above isn't correct.  With UUPC software, a modem, and news
reader software (such as rn) one can have a fully functioning USENET and
UUCPnet node.  The Mush mailer is available for anonymous ftp
from ucbvax.berkeley.edu and these other pieces are available for
anonymous ftp from a number of places.  Most assuredly Ufgate is not
the only solution nor was it the first solution.  UUPC has been around
for quite a while now.

The above are all freely distributable software to the best of my
recollection but you should check the software itself to be sure.

schriste@uceng.UC.EDU (Steven V. Christensen) (10/30/89)

randall@uvaarpa.virginia.edu (Randall Atkinson) writes:

>...... With UUPC software, a modem, and news
>reader software (such as rn) one can have a fully functioning USENET and
>UUCPnet node.....  UUPC has been around for quite a while now.

Has there been any update of the UUPC (INTERIM.ARC)? Is someone
actively working on is ?

		Steven
--
Steven V. Christensen
U.C. College of Eng.

joe@elephant.UUCP (10/31/89)

In article <1289@uvaarpa.virginia.edu> randall@uvaarpa.Virginia.EDU (Randall Atkinson) writes:
>In article <3618@amelia.nas.nasa.gov>,
>
>The above isn't correct.  With UUPC software, a modem, and news
>reader software (such as rn) one can have a fully functioning USENET and
>UUCPnet node.  The Mush mailer is available for anonymous ftp

Are you saying that rn has been ported, along with the other necessary stuff
to MS-DOS? If so, how is it accessible?

--
# "And now they do not see light, it is brilliant in the skies" -- Sefer Bahir #