[alt.bbs] Waffle PC<->Usenet

dell@amelia.nas.nasa.gov (Thomas E. Dell) (10/30/89)

thelake!steve writes:

>UFgate is/was not the only option. At least two versions of Citadel have been
>running Usenet news and UUCP mail on personal computers for a year or so.
>One is STadel, a shareware product for the Atari ST and IBM PC-clones.
>The other is Citadel-86, a free PC-clone BBS for which Paul Gauthier has
>written a UUPC gateway.

I stand corrected. However, I found neither Ufgate nor Citadel were enough
to suite my needs - DOS *and* Unix, and operation as a single user station
to send/receive news and mail. However, this discussion has come up a number
of times in the last 6 months, and repeatedly the answers have been "ufgate"
and "fsuucp" (or "xbbs" and "akcs" on the other side of things).

The DOS version uses a DCP derived uucico, and that portion *IS* free
(I saw no point in reinventing the wheel). The Unix version of the BBS
interfaces with the usenet {B,C} software and your existing mailer; once
you have B News or C News working it is fairly easy to just plug things in.

>There also are a couple of Un*x versions of Citadel, and I believe one of
>them knows how to speak the Citadel proprietary networking protocol.

I understand that there are a variety of Citadel networking "standards",
some of which are not compatible with others. I am not sure why these
Citadels on PC (ibm clones, not Atari ST's in this context) are not more
common on the UUCP network - can someone explain?

>I have a strange setup. I run STadel as a personal node -- not as a BBS --
>so that I can keep up with several STadel-networked discussion "rooms."

I also have a strange setup. I run Waffle as a personal node (vox),
receiving a small number of newsgroups. It also does some of the mail
routing for the domain addressed mail. Also we run a 1300 user BBS
in the Bay Area which receives a larger number of newsgroups & generates
quite a bit more mail traffic.

Waffle is an alternative for those who

  - want a single user UUCP mail/news station
  - need a clean Usenet interface under DOS
  - run XBBS under Xenix but want something different

             Thomas Dell

             root@vox.darkside.com

cambler@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU (Fubar) (10/30/89)

dell@amelia.nas.nasa.gov (Thomas E. Dell) slinks:
>thelake!steve writes:
>I stand corrected. However, I found neither Ufgate nor Citadel were enough
>to suite my needs - DOS *and* Unix, and operation as a single user station
>to send/receive news and mail. However, this discussion has come up a number
>of times in the last 6 months, and repeatedly the answers have been "ufgate"
>and "fsuucp" (or "xbbs" and "akcs" on the other side of things).

While fsuucp is still not complete, I feel that your remarks are a bit off
the mark. What you say Waffle (that's what it's called, yes?) does, fsuucp
does as well...

including support for compressed batch, batch, and single article, as well
as interfacing with the editor of your choice.

>The DOS version uses a DCP derived uucico, and that portion *IS* free
>(I saw no point in reinventing the wheel).

I had wished to so this as well, but the 1 window version i tried as WAY
too slow, and as has been mentioned had error recovery bugs. THIS i understnad,
as my current version STILL has a few. If they ever get around to accepting
Zmodem for uucp as is being discussed, it will make MY life a bit easier...

>Waffle is an alternative for those who
>
>  - want a single user UUCP mail/news station

fsuucp does this...

>  - need a clean Usenet interface under DOS

fsuucp does this. Grant, versions A and B had bugs in the usenet reader, but
I am directing most of my efforts into the actual protocol driver (the uucico
portion). The version C news interface is currently undergoing private beta
testing on my BBS.

>  - run XBBS under Xenix but want something different

Ahh, now you have a point here. Yes, fsuucp is NOT for {xe|u}nix. It's for PC
users who want mail and news.

However, it's also for BBS operators who want Usenet on their boards. It
comes with 2 utility programmes, "batcher.exe" and "expire.exe" which do
most of the work for you. If you have a BBS that allows you to shell out
to external programmes, and works under FOSSIL, fsuucp will work for you
now. If you don't, then fsbbs has all the interfaces, and is written to
work with the fsuucp package (it comes with fsuucp, really) to give PC
BBS sysops usenet news, AND a uucp mailer that their users can use just
like local mail.

Really, what i see here is a bunch of projects that do basically the same
thing, but in a different way. It's not a questions of what's better, but
of what works for you...

Disclaimers: version C fsuucp is under construction.
             version 2.0A of fsbbs is under beta testing, and is an open
             system for looking around. The info is in Computer Shopper,
	     and the # is in my sig. 300/1200/2400. Please note that it is
	     set up as a BBS, and there is activity on it from the local
	     Jr. High modem gangs... they seem to love the "anonymous" feature
	     in the message bases :-)

--
     Sig: ++Christopher();            | "I am not nuts. I am condements.
Internet: cambler@polyslo.calpoly.edu |  I was promoted last thursday!"

cambler@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU (Fubar) (10/30/89)

I hate it when that happens... :-)

(wrong .sig)

The number for fsbbs is +1 805 544 9234. 3/12/24, 8-N-1 only.
I also forgot to mention that the board IS shareware, and is scheduled for
release first quarter 1990.

--

cambler@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU (Chris Ambler) writes:

> >The DOS version uses a DCP derived uucico, and that portion *IS* free

> I had wished to so this as well, but the 1 window version i tried as WAY
> too slow, and as has been mentioned had error recovery bugs. THIS i understna
> as my current version STILL has a few. If they ever get around to accepting
> Zmodem for uucp as is being discussed, it will make MY life a bit easier...

The later versions use a 7 packet window, and that is what I based the DOS
uucico on. There's a lot of nonsense & error recovery bugs in the DCP/UUPC
packages, and things that are just outright wrong. I believe this release
will fix most of those. Ufgate, gnuucp, early DCP, and AmigaUUCP all use
the 1 packet window, and that DCP is probably what you looked at.

I wouldn't count on a Z protocol in the near future. You would still have
to deal with all the existing g implementations (nobody can retrofit Z
to thousands of binary-only Unix licenses).

> Really, what i see here is a bunch of projects that do basically the same
> thing, but in a different way. It's not a questions of what's better, but
> of what works for you...

True. There still exist differences in functionality. UUPC for instance,
will not work in slave (dialin) operation, and cannot operate as a nonleaf
site. Uuslave/Ufgate has the 1 packet window, and requires dealing with
Fido'isms, which is fine if you like numbers instead of a domain-based
system, I suppose. I cannot comment on Fubar systems UUCP or BBS as I have
not seen working copies (but I have seen copies).

This package is called Waffle. It fixes many of the shortcomings that the
UUPC interim version had (I threw everything out but the packet driver).
The interim UUCP probably was the most functional package, short of purchasing
UULINK from Lauren Weinstein ($200-300 price range). I only say this because
someone earlier (randall@uvaarpa.virginia.edu, if my memory serves) stated
that UUPC turns your PC into a "fully functional USENET and UUCP node" which
is a kind of misinformation we'd like to avoid here.

                               Thomas Dell

pax@megasys.COM (Garry M. Paxinos) (11/03/89)

In article <3620@amelia.nas.nasa.gov> dell@amelia.nas.nasa.gov (Thomas E. Dell) writes:

   packages, and things that are just outright wrong. I believe this release
   will fix most of those. Ufgate, gnuucp, early DCP, and AmigaUUCP all use
   the 1 packet window, and that DCP is probably what you looked at.

   True. There still exist differences in functionality. UUPC for instance,
   will not work in slave (dialin) operation, and cannot operate as a nonleaf
   site. Uuslave/Ufgate has the 1 packet window, and requires dealing with
   Fido'isms, which is fine if you like numbers instead of a domain-based

On uuslave (as shipped with UFGATE), it will run a window of 3 on
inbound (settable to 7 via command line.)  However, outbound is limited
to a window of one.

Also, ufgate does not make you use a 'number' based system, node numbers
are only used to communicate with other fidonet nodes.  A ufgate
site can be known by only a domain name (my site was first
ankh.fidonet.org then changed to ankh.ftl.fl.us while still running
ufgate, it now however is a unix system.)

For the record, ufgate was operating at several beta sites across
the country by mid '86.

Take care,
Garry.
--
Internet : work - pax@megasys.com     home - pax@ankh.ftl.fl.us
USNail   : Megasystems, Inc.  2055 South Congress Ave, Delray Beach, FL 33445