[alt.bbs] BBS's/Phone Books/company

keeper@gorn.santa-cruz.ca.us (Ron O'Dell) (01/16/90)

I had a bit of a problem sending this before, as a followup, but it's in
response to an article in which the author said that perhaps BBS's aren't
in phone books because modem users might get charged more, and claimed that
some sysops in New Jersey do indeed get charged higher rates.  Here's my reply:

Perhaps Pacific Bell is more lax about modems than New Jersey Bell (that's the
right name, isn't it?).  Pacific Bell seems to have an attitude of "So what?
a modem, big deal, what do you want us to do about it?" regarding modems.
If they work on the regular phone lines, they have no right to charge extra,
and virtually no way to know if one is using a modem or not, anyway.  Of course
they >mention< that they can set you up with a better quality line, etc.

Anyhow, in Santa Cruz, Pyrzqxgl BBS is in our phone book.  There is another
rather obscure system in there, too (you know the type, the mysterious BBS
that no one calls yet remains running for some reason)^ s/b semicolon.

However, I believe that it's only been spelled correctly once--though I haven't
checked the new book yet.  I'm not sure if Pac Bell knows that it's a BBS rather
than some obscure name, though.  but I'm sure that Pyrzqxgl's sysop, Tachyon,
will read this and comment............

tachyon@gorn.santa-cruz.ca.us (tane' tachyon) (01/17/90)

In article <1054@gorn.santa-cruz.ca.us> keeper@gorn.santa-cruz.ca.us (Ron O'Dell) writes:

>Anyhow, in Santa Cruz, Pyrzqxgl BBS is in our phone book.  There is another
>rather obscure system in there, too (you know the type, the mysterious BBS
>that no one calls yet remains running for some reason)^ s/b semicolon.
>
>However, I believe that it's only been spelled correctly once--though I haven't
>checked the new book yet.  I'm not sure if Pac Bell knows that it's a BBS rather
>than some obscure name, though.  but I'm sure that Pyrzqxgl's sysop, Tachyon,
>will read this and comment............

Ahh, how can I disappoint such faith!  Yes, Pyrzqxgl is in the phone book,
but only in the white pages -- what they were talking about was a
section in the yellow pages just for computer bulletin boards.  Actually
Stuart III (!) was once listed under "Time-sharing systems" in the
yellow pages (or a title to that effect -- that section doesn't seem
to be in the current phonebook).

How did Pyrzqxgl get in the white pages?  Well, a certain Mr. S. told
them that "BBS Pyrzqxgl" was his weirdo girlfriend's name, so it
winds up as "Pyrzqxgl B B S" as the last entry in the "P"'s.
Yes, they got the spelling right this year.