[alt.bbs] New BBS Revision Coming

pozar@hoptoad.uucp (Tim Pozar) (01/17/90)

In article <1408@milton.acs.washington.edu> milton@milton.acs.washington.edu (Stephen Milton) writes:

>In article <8285@nigel.udel.EDU> boutell@freezer.it.udel.edu (Tom Boutell) writes:
>>I'm on the verge of a new revision of my BBS software and I'd like to ask
>>what features folks are looking for these days. Some of the things I've
>
>How about USENET access in a bulletin board???  I am currently writing a
>bulletin board myself and want to be able to access USENET from the BBS
>What I would like to know how to do, but am having a problem figuring out is
>how to pretend that my terminal is just a node of the USENET.  I have heard
>that there is software for the PC that does this...but acnnot find it or find
>the source...Does anyone else think that this wqould be w3a good thing...anor
>does anyone else know where I could find any such software?

    With UFGATE (UUCP/USENET <=> FidoNet gateway software) any
    FidoNet system can read and post USENET newsgroups.  You
    don't even have to run the software.  It converts newsgroups
    into FidoNet "Echos".

	       Tim

--
Tim Pozar    Try also...
Internet: pozar@toad.com

cambler@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU (Fubar) (01/17/90)

milton@milton.acs.washington.edu (Stephen Milton) slinks:
>boutell@freezer.it.udel.edu (Tom Boutell) writes:
>>I'm on the verge of a new revision of my BBS software and I'd like to ask
>>what features folks are looking for these days. Some of the things I've
>
>How about USENET access in a bulletin board???  I am currently writing a
>bulletin board myself and want to be able to access USENET from the BBS

Hi there :-)

fsbbs is scheduled for release sharewarewise on the first of march. It
contains internal readnews, postnews, expire, and batchers, as well as
an interface to fsuucp to transfer mail and news.

More information coming out 1 feb in an information release.

--
     Sig: ++Christopher();            | Fubar Systems BBS
Internet: cambler@polyslo.calpoly.edu | (805) 544-9234 3/12/24 8-N-1

harrison@darkside.com (Harrison) (01/18/90)

milton@milton.acs.washington.edu (Stephen Milton) writes:

> In article <8285@nigel.udel.EDU> boutell@freezer.it.udel.edu (Tom Boutell) wr
> >I'm on the verge of a new revision of my BBS software and I'd like to ask
> >what features folks are looking for these days. Some of the things I've
>
> How about USENET access in a bulletin board???  I am currently writing a
> bulletin board myself and want to be able to access USENET from the BBS
> What I would like to know how to do, but am having a problem figuring out is
> how to pretend that my terminal is just a node of the USENET.  I have heard
> that there is software for the PC that does this...but acnnot find it or find
> the source...Does anyone else think that this wqould be w3a good thing...anor
> does anyone else know where I could find any such software?

Waffle BBS, which can be compiled under MS/DOS or Unix, allows for
networking via UUCP (mail messages or Usenet news).  For a nice
example of a BBS with a select number of Usenet groups, give a call
to the Dark Side at +1 408/245-SPAM.  Waffle is available for $30 as
shareware and is available for download.

There's also source available, I believe.  If you like, I can mail
you a spec sheet about the software.  Waffle is also a fully-functional
BBS package with a literal ton of features.

  - harrison

Harrison Page               ..apple!uuwest!harrison | "..the grey rain drizzles
harrison@darkside.COM +1 408/446-8980 CiS76424,1020 |   down my face negate
P.O. Box 4436 Mountain View California 94040-4436   | mistrust dementia.."

jpp@tygra.UUCP (John Palmer) (01/18/90)

>> In article <8285@nigel.udel.EDU> boutell@freezer.it.udel.edu (Tom Boutell) wr
>> >I'm on the verge of a new revision of my BBS software and I'd like to ask
>> >what features folks are looking for these days. Some of the things I've
>>
>> How about USENET access in a bulletin board???  I am currently writing a
>> bulletin board myself and want to be able to access USENET from the BBS

CAT-TALK (1-800-825-3069, 300/1200/2400/9600) will be offering newsgroups
(both posting and reading) after Feb 1, 1990. Check my .sig for access info

--
=  CAT-TALK Conferencing Network, Prototype Computer Conferencing System  =
-  1-800-825-3069, 300/1200/2400/9600 baud, 8/N/1. New users use 'new'    -