[alt.bbs] Modem busy message program?

fordke@ingr.com (Keith Ford x8614) (03/11/90)

I have a BBS that runs on a 286 machine.  I also have an Apple //e to
support the Apple ][ areas of the BBS.  When I need to use the 286 for
work/business/play, I would like to have a program running on the
Apple //e that displays a message to my BBS callers indicating that
the BBS is down for the moment.  I could just make the line appear
busy, but I was hoping to do more than that.  I have ProTree, a BBS
package for the Apple //e, haven't checked it out yet.  Would it do
what I want?  Your net help will be appreciated.  -kef/MM-
--
-- fordke@ingr.com         \   Micro Magic BBS  [205-830-2362]   offers:
-- ...!uunet!ingr!fordke    \   choice DOS utils (IMHO), Trackstar info,

atman@csuchico.edu (Homeless hacker) (03/15/90)

In article <9230@ingr.com> fordke@ingr.com (Keith Ford x8614) writes:

>I have a BBS that runs on a 286 machine.  I also have an Apple //e to
>support the Apple ][ areas of the BBS.  When I need to use the 286 for
>work/business/play, I would like to have a program running on the
>Apple //e that displays a message to my BBS callers indicating that
>the BBS is down for the moment.  I could just make the line appear
>busy, but I was hoping to do more than that.  I have ProTree, a BBS

I know that that sounds like a nice touch, but you might want to
think twice about doing it if you have a lot of long distance or inter-
national callers.  Remember, there is a minimum charge for LD connects,
and a bunch of little 1-minute calls on the phone bill isn't a great way
to get repeat business for those out-of-towners.

Of course, if you are running some sort of networking software (I don't
know if ProTree supports networking) it can cause all sorts of problems.

Just a thought -- one of my LD net connects took his BBS down without
telling me, and put up a little note like this that would be displayed
to callers:

	"See?  See what one or two bad apples can do to a good BBS?
	 This system is down INDEFINITELY due to blah blah blah..."

My board spent 2 days and about 50 calls trying to get through, and I
swear I thought hard about... well, never mind.

Just my $0.02.

--
------ reply to atman%csuchico.EDU@RELAY.CS.NET   or one of these others:
                Fidonet : atman via 1:119/666.0   WWIVnet : 1@9651

mike@hp-sdd.hp.com (Mike Craig) (03/29/90)

In article <1990Mar15.011957.9666@csuchico.edu> atman@cscihp.UUCP (Homeless hacker) writes:

>>I have a BBS that runs on a 286 machine.  I also have an Apple //e to
>>support the Apple ][ areas of the BBS.  When I need to use the 286 for
>>work/business/play, I would like to have a program running on the
>>Apple //e that displays a message to my BBS callers indicating that
>>the BBS is down for the moment.  I could just make the line appear
>>busy, but I was hoping to do more than that.  I have ProTree, a BBS

     I heard of a program called _Double_DOS_, as far as I know it allows
you to run applications while the BBS is still up.  You might want to check
in to that more thoroughly.

Mike Craig