[alt.bbs] Terminal Emulation Program for IBM PC

cos@chaos.cs.brandeis.edu (Ofer Inbar) (06/11/90)

In article <5752@hub.ucsb.edu> 6600mld@ucsbuxa.ucsb.edu (Tom Bombadil) writes:

>I too have tried to use Procomm+ (vt102 emulation with a vt100
>termcap) and it sucks rocks.  Cursor movement makes funny things
>happen, the most often of which is the "ghosting" of characters --
>where a character is still in the file, but its image is deleted from
>the screen.  Constant ^L'ing is needed.  This is unacceptable, so I do
>all my BBS stuff from the Amiga, and then xfer noteworthy items to the
>IBM.

A very common problem with ProComm VT102 used on Unix systems is that
people leave the deafult of destructive backspace on.  Unles you set
it to non-destrcutive backspace, you will lose characters every time
the remote Unix system echoes a bakcspace to you.  One you make that
one change, you will probably never lose characters again.
I use ProComm Plus TD (for now), in VT102 mode, and have no problems
with ircII, emacs, nethack, talk, or anything else.

Still, if you're dissatisfied with ProComm, try Telix.  I don't use it
a lot but many people tell me it's better than ProComm.

>Matthew Deter		  |   Q: How many libertarians does it 	|
>6600mld@ucsbuxa.bitnet    |      take to screw in a lightbulb?	|    //
>6600mld@ucsbuxa.ucsb.edu  |   A: Just one, if you let him.	|  \X/ Amiga!

  --  Cos (Ofer Inbar)  --  cos@chaos.cs.brandeis.edu
  Shareware author - email for info on my programs.