[icus.general] static discharge precautions

gil@limbic.UUCP (Gil Kloepfer Jr.) (01/16/89)

In article <461@manta.pha.pa.us> brant@manta.pha.pa.us (Brant Cheikes) writes:
>For all of you who futz around inside your UNIXpc's, soldering things,
>swapping devices, etc., what precautions do you take to avoid static
>discharge damage?
>--
>Brant Cheikes
>University of Pennsylvania
>Department of Computer and Information Science
>brant@manta.pha.pa.us, brant@linc.cis.upenn.edu, bpa!manta!brant

What an interesting question!

My answer is going to be surprising and dangerous, but since I'm
one of the folks that this is question is directed at...

I generally just try to follow a little common sense, like don't wear
a static-filled sweater, no shoes, kick my cat out of the room for a
while, etc.  Other than this, I don't do too much else, and all I can
say is that I've been LUCKY.

What *SHOULD* be done is to perform the work using a grounded conductive
mat, a grounded soldering iron, and wearing a grounded wrist strap.  Care
should be taken in contacting ANYTHING to the motherboard.

Now...one other thing about grounded things and electrical outlets.  PLEASE
PLEASE PLEASE buy that dumb little $5 outlet tester before plugging
equipment into an outlet or grounding yourself to it.  A while back, I
was doing some work in my apt with a UNIX-pc and some other junk on a
separate power supply.  When I saw the flash I nearly died.  My circuit
did die, and so did the motherboard.  The hot and neutral of the outlet
were wired BACKWARDS.  The circuit I had sent 120V through my circuit
into the motherboard (momentarily).  Good thing I had schematics and
knew the problem well enough to be able to find the bad chip on the
motherboard and repair it.  Luckily, that was all that got fried...
(BTW: After using the tester, I found that 75% of my outlets are ungrounded,
even though they have a ground hole, and three are wired backward, including
one in the kitchen and the one for the refrigerator).

------
Gil Kloepfer, Jr.          U-Net: {decuac,boulder,talcott,sbcs}!icus!limbic!gil
ICUS Software Systems      Voice: (516) 968-6860 [H]   (516) 746-2350 x219 [W]
P.O. Box 1                 Internet:  gil@icus.islp.ny.us
Islip Terrace, NY  11752   "Life's a ...  well, you know..."