[net.music] Settling the JSB/KB controversy once and for all

rlr@pyuxd.UUCP (Rich Rosen) (08/08/85)

It's so simple.  Kate Bush is obviously the better and more important
composer because she's better looking.  By a long shot.  Bach was a
puffy old man who wore a powdered wig.  Kate Bush is, well, beyond
description by mere words.

Isn't that the proper basis for judging music?  I mean, Prince stinks
because he looks funny, right?  No need to even listen to his music
to make a judgment there.  Why bother?  It's so obvious.  And Michael
Jackson's music stinks because he's effeminate.  There, you didn't even
have to waste your time listening to the music and making a reasoned
decision about it!  On the other hand, Arnold Schoenberg's music is
great because of his unusual and interesting haircut.  Never mind
the way it sounds, that's irrelevant.  On the other other hand, the
Go-Go's are a bunch of girls from Los Angeles who dress funny, thus
their music is of no consequence (eh, Marcel?).  Why, this is as
easy as judging the quality of a piece of music by the types of instruments
used in playing it!  (It's a good thing nobody does that :-)

I am sure you will all want to thank me for this elegant and eloquent
solution to the "Bach/Bush" question.  You're welcome in advance.  :-)
--
"Wait a minute.  '*WE*' decided???   *MY* best interests????"
					Rich Rosen    ihnp4!pyuxd!rlr

mfs@mhuxr.UUCP (SIMON) (08/09/85)

> Kate Bush is obviously the better and more important
> composer because she's better looking.

Huh?

> Isn't that the proper basis for judging music?  I mean, Prince stinks
> because he looks funny, right?  No need to even listen to his music
> to make a judgment there.  Why bother?  It's so obvious.  And Michael
> Jackson's music stinks because he's effeminate.  There, you didn't even
> have to waste your time listening to the music and making a reasoned
> decision about it!  On the other hand, Arnold Schoenberg's music is
> great because of his unusual and interesting haircut.  Never mind
> the way it sounds, that's irrelevant.  On the other other hand, the
> Go-Go's are a bunch of girls from Los Angeles who dress funny, thus
> their music is of no consequence (eh, Marcel?).  Why, this is as
> easy as judging the quality of a piece of music by the types of instruments
> used in playing it!  (It's a good thing nobody does that :-)
> 					Rich Rosen    ihnp4!pyuxd!rlr

Whatever the point of this article is (I don't know, please enlighten me, Rich)
I better respond to it, since it mentions me by name. You may have missed
what I said about the Go-Gos, but dressing funny was not part of it.
Not being able to create and perform music of consequence was but looks
and clothes were not.

Just setting the record straight
Marcel Simon

rlr@pyuxd.UUCP (Rich Rosen) (08/10/85)

>>Kate Bush is obviously the better and more important composer because she's
>>better looking.

> Huh?  [MARCEL SIMON]

Marcel, if you don't know serious musical criticism when you see it,
with an inredibly objective basis for judgment behind it, you should
not be posting to net.music at all.  The above quote is just as serious
an example of criticism as the last sentence was.  (Get it?)

>>On the other other hand, the
>>Go-Go's are a bunch of girls from Los Angeles who dress funny, thus
>>their music is of no consequence (eh, Marcel?).  Why, this is as
>>easy as judging the quality of a piece of music by the types of instruments
>>used in playing it!  (It's a good thing nobody does that :-)

> Whatever the point of this article is (I don't know, please enlighten me,
> Rich) ...

To make a comment on the way some people judge music, as especially noted
by the example I gave about criticisms about Prince (he looks slimy [to
whom?], ergo his music stinks).

> I better respond to it, since it mentions me by name. You may have missed
> what I said about the Go-Gos, but dressing funny was not part of it.
> Not being able to create and perform music of consequence was but looks
> and clothes were not.

No more or less "consequence" than your idol, Mr. Ellington.  Oh come on,
define "consequence".  The Go-Go's had enough good music in their
repertoire to label your judgment of them as sour grapes.  Your remark
about the Go-Go's was throwaway material and hardly the general subject
of the article, though it seemed to tie in well with the notion of
anybody who judges music based on non-musical characteristics.  (Like
"that uses a rhythm machine, therefore...")  OK???

> Just setting the record straight

I wasn't aware that it had ben warped...
--

mfs@mhuxr.UUCP (SIMON) (08/13/85)

> > ME
> > You may have missed
> > what I said about the Go-Gos, but dressing funny was not part of it.
> > Not being able to create and perform music of consequence was but looks
> > and clothes were not.
>
> No more or less "consequence" than your idol, Mr. Ellington.  Oh come on,
> define "consequence".

I define work of artistic consequence as having some degree of influence over
work created later, by others, and as being able to withstand passing
fashions and evoke appreciative emotions over long periods of time ("forever")
I'd say Ellington meets those criteria and the Go-Go's don't.

> The Go-Go's had enough good music in their
> repertoire to label your judgment of them as sour grapes.

If that is so, where are they now, and why did they suddenly disappear
when the initial wave of hype washed over?

> Your remark
> about the Go-Go's was throwaway material and hardly the general subject
> of the article, though it seemed to tie in well with the notion of
> anybody who judges music based on non-musical characteristics.

Offhand comment, but perfectly in keeping with the original article
on Madonna, in net.women, which was about the lack of substance
of same; quite similar in my mind to the Go-Go's situation.

> 					Rich Rosen    ihnp4!pyuxd!rlr

Marcel Simon

rlr@pyuxd.UUCP (Rich Rosen) (08/14/85)

> I define work of artistic consequence as having some degree of influence over
> work created later, by others, and as being able to withstand passing
> fashions and evoke appreciative emotions over long periods of time ("forever")
> I'd say Ellington meets those criteria and the Go-Go's don't. [MARCEL]

Good for you.  You've also defined rhythm as THE most important element in
music.  So?  That's your personal taste.  And that's fine.

>>The Go-Go's had enough good music in their
>>repertoire to label your judgment of them as sour grapes.

> If that is so, where are they now, and why did they suddenly disappear
> when the initial wave of hype washed over?

It's called breaking up.  It's what happens when members of a group part
company.  I have no idea what sort of validity you were trying to impart for
your argument with this.  Let's call the whole thing off.
--
Popular consensus says that reality is based on popular consensus.
						Rich Rosen   pyuxd!rlr

nessus@mit-eddie.UUCP (Doug Alan) (08/15/85)

> From: mfs@mhuxr.UUCP (SIMON)

> I define work of artistic consequence as having some degree of
> influence over work created later, by others, and as being able to
> withstand passing fashions and evoke appreciative emotions over long
> periods of time ("forever") I'd say Ellington meets those criteria and
> the Go-Go's don't.

Marcel, does this mean that a great artist isn't great if they go
unrecognized, and thus have little influence on others?  Hogwash!  Total
and complete!

>> [Rich Rosen:] The Go-Go's had enough good music in their repertoire
>> to label your judgment of them as sour grapes.

> If that is so, where are they now, and why did they suddenly disappear
> when the initial wave of hype washed over?

I'm not wild about the Go-Go's, but they did have a couple okay songs,
like "Our Lips Our Sealed" and "This Town" (though they're nothing
great).

In any case, just because someone disappears doesn't mean they had no
talent, so your argument is pretty silly.  I can think of several true
artists who disappeared into relative obscurity after massive popular
success because they decided to transcend what they had been doing
before, and this led to a great deal of popular rejection.

Then again, I don't think this describes The Go-Go's.

			"I've turned my revolt into style"

			 Doug Alan
			  nessus@mit-eddie.UUCP (or ARPA)

mfs@mhuxr.UUCP (SIMON) (08/17/85)

>> I define work of artistic consequence as having some degree of influence over
>> work created later, by others, and as being able to withstand passing
>> fashions and evoke appreciative emotions over long periods of time ("forever")
>> I'd say Ellington meets those criteria and the Go-Go's don't. [MARCEL]
>
> Good for you.  You've also defined rhythm as THE most important element in
> music.  So?  That's your personal taste.  And that's fine.

I love your style, Rich. I post something. You ask for clarification. I give
it. You can't find any valid argument against it, so you dismiss it as mere
opinion. That's all it ever was, my man.

And I never said that rhythm was the most important anything. Go back and
re-read the archives on that debate.

> It's called breaking up.  It's what happens when members of a group part
> company.  I have no idea what sort of validity you were trying to impart for
> your argument with this.  Let's call the whole thing off.

It's called exiting with your tail between your legs because you have
nothing else to say, if you ask me

Marcel Simon

mfs@mhuxr.UUCP (SIMON) (08/17/85)

> Marcel, does this mean that a great artist isn't great if they go
> unrecognized, and thus have little influence on others?  Hogwash!  Total
> and complete!

So how would you know that artist was great if he/she was so unrecognized?
Implied in the phrase "great artist" is recognition, even if it comes
belatedly, long after the artist's time. Recognition implies awareness of
the artist's work (the giving pleasure "forever" I alluded to) and of
its putative imfluence on that of others.

Marcel Simon

rlr@pyuxd.UUCP (Rich Rosen) (08/18/85)

>>>I define work of artistic consequence as having some degree of influence over
>>>work created later, by others, and as being able to withstand passing
>>>fashions and evoke appreciative emotions over long periods of time
>>>("forever").  I'd say Ellington meets those criteria and the Go-Go's don't.
>>>[MARCEL]

>>Good for you.  You've also defined rhythm as THE most important element in
>>music.  So?  That's your personal taste.  And that's fine.

> I love your style, Rich. I post something. You ask for clarification. I give
> it. You can't find any valid argument against it, so you dismiss it as mere
> opinion. That's all it ever was, my man.

Given the number of times in the past you've tried to pass of your mere opinion
as absolute fact (you've got rhythm, who could tell you anything more?).
I don't know why we're arguing about the artistic merit of the GoGo's, because
I frankly don't care.  You seem to care that they be placed in the pile
labelled "unworthy", but I really think it's a personal judgment call.

> And I never said that rhythm was the most important anything. Go back and
> re-read the archives on that debate.

I quote:

<332@mhuxr.UUCP>

<336@mhuxr.UUCP>
> Harmony seeks to quantize music, a sound continuum, in [arbitrary] discrete
> steps. Harmony establishes [arbitrary] rules about acceptable
> and unacceptable relationships between notes.
>
> Rhythm, on the other hand, pervades all music. There can be aharmonic <<===
> and amelodic music, but there is no such thing as arrhythmic music.
> Stating that the core of a piece is its harmonic content is like
> saying that the meaning of a language is the way it is spelled.
> These are *not* value judgements. I listen to a pretty wide range  <<======
> of music, and these are the conclusions I reach. You disagree. Fine;
> state your assumptions, observations and conclusions. Let us talk.
> Save the value judgments on my assumptions, OK?

Thus, we should not make value judgments about Marcel's assumptions being
value judgments, whatever that means.  "*the* essential part"?  "*not*
value judgments"?  Whom are we kidding, Marcel?  Next time you suggest
that I read the archives, you should read them yourself.  Tom Duff (among
others) showed that there can be (and is) arhythmic music in the same sense
that music can be said to be amelodic or aharmonic.  Thank you for providing
me with the opportunity to substantiate.

>>It's called breaking up.  It's what happens when members of a group part
>>company.  I have no idea what sort of validity you were trying to impart for
>>your argument with this.  Let's call the whole thing off.

> It's called exiting with your tail between your legs because you have
> nothing else to say, if you ask me

I have plenty to say.  And I just said it.  I don't find the GoGo's worth
arguing about as far as worth.  You are the one who was insisting that
they were ipso facto without artistic merit.  You're the one who didn't
answer what I just said.  So much for tails between legs.
--
Meanwhile, the Germans were engaging in their heavy cream experiments in
Finland, where the results kept coming out like Swiss cheese...