[comp.protocols.pcnet] Server Message Block

mshiels@tmsoft.uucp (Michael A. Shiels) (03/26/91)

I know that MS-NET/PC-LAN/LanManager etc are based upon SMB type networking.

Are there any other LANs which use SMBs as there message format?  Are they
documented anywhere?  Thanx.

martino@logitek.co.uk (Martin O'Nions) (04/03/91)

mshiels@tmsoft.uucp (Michael A. Shiels) writes:

>I know that MS-NET/PC-LAN/LanManager etc are based upon SMB type networking.

>Are there any other LANs which use SMBs as there message format?  Are they
>documented anywhere?  Thanx.

Xenix-Net originated ESMBs (Extended SMB) as used in LAN Manager. A good
basic description of LM, SMBs and NetBIOS usage can be found in Kochan &
Wood's 'Unix Networking' (Hayden Books).

This also contains info on UUCP, NFS, TCP/IP, STREAMS, X, RFS and other
goodies - a good buy, although it looks pricey for the size in the U.K.
at first glance.

Martin
--
DISCLAIMER: All My Own Work (Unless stated otherwise)
Martin O'Nions            Logitek Group Support      martino@logitek.co.uk

iain@xopen.co.uk (Iain Currie Devine) (04/08/91)

From article <martino.670687922@krypton>, by martino@logitek.co.uk (Martin O'Nions):
> mshiels@tmsoft.uucp (Michael A. Shiels) writes:
>
>>I know that MS-NET/PC-LAN/LanManager etc are based upon SMB type networking.
>
>>Are there any other LANs which use SMBs as there message format?  Are they
>>documented anywhere?  Thanx.
>
> Xenix-Net originated ESMBs (Extended SMB) as used in LAN Manager. A good
> basic description of LM, SMBs and NetBIOS usage can be found in Kochan &
> Wood's 'Unix Networking' (Hayden Books).

You might also wish to take a look at
"Developers Specification: Protocols for X/Open PC Interworking: SMB"
published by X/Open Company Ltd . The ISBN is 1 872630 01 4. A contact
is Anna Tomassello on +33 734 508311 who has pricing and availablity
details

> This also contains info on UUCP, NFS, TCP/IP, STREAMS, X, RFS and other
> goodies - a good buy, although it looks pricey for the size in the U.K.
> at first glance.
>
> Martin
> --
> DISCLAIMER: All My Own Work (Unless stated otherwise)
> Martin O'Nions            Logitek Group Support      martino@logitek.co.uk
>    O'er the rugged mountain's  brow / Clara threw the twins she nursed
>     And remarked, "I wonder now / Which will reach the bottom first?"
>          (Harry Graham - Ruthless Rhymes for Heartless Homes)

a@hpcc05.HP.COM (04/11/91)

I also recommend the X/Open source.

While XENIX did use some extended SMBs (like SMBfork, for example) which
were not in the original MSNet protocol, they are not the same as those used
by the LAN Manager.

Jim Conrad