[aus.computers.ibm-pc] Redirecting Screen Output

kjeld@iesd.auc.dk (Kjeld Flarup) (02/05/90)

In article <219cs-sunb@massey.ac.nz> M.Jones@massey.ac.nz writes:
>I want to know how to redirect characters sent to the screen to a file
>without using the redirection ('>') character. Hopefully, there is a
>public domain program that would do this.
>
>Alternatively, could someone tell me if it is possible to execute another
>program from within a Turbo Pascal (v5.50) program and use the '>' for
>redirection. Using the Exec function seems to ignore any redirection
>characters entered as part of the parameter string.

The general way to do this should be to close the output, and to reopen
it to the redirection file

  close( output ); assign( output, 'redirect.fil' ); rewrite( output );

This should make the DOS handle for standard output point to a file
instead of the console. When executing a child program this
redirection is inherited. The same can be done for input and error.
If this doesn't work it may be nessecary to do some direct acces to
DOS.

I do not guarantee that this works but try playing with it, and if it
fails let me know and I will find out for sure how it is done.

BTW make sure to test on a program which uses DOS for output and not
BIOS or direct screen access.

--
*     I am several thousand pages behind my reading schedule.    *
Kjeld Flarup Christensen                         kjeld@iesd.auc.dk