[comp.protocols.nfs] NFS vendors for PC-DOS

merlin@smu.edu (David Hayes) (04/17/89)

Other than Sun, who produces NFS stuff for PCs?

As a University, we're particularly interested in stuff that comes:

	1.  Free, like from another university
	2.  Low-cost (big education discount, or site license)
	3.  In Source

in that order.  Our budget is very limited, and the cost of the
ethercards themselves is a strain.  They're not worth all that much
to us if we can't run NFS on them, though, and Sun just wants too
much money for us.

Thanks for any help you can give,

	David Hayes, Director of Engineering Computing
	Southern Methodist University

phone:	214-692-3066  (rarely in to answer)
email:	hayes@smu.edu

bart@videovax.tv.Tek.com (Bart Massey) (04/18/89)

In article <14940@pollux.UUCP> hayes@smu.edu (David Hayes) writes:
> Other than Sun, who produces NFS stuff for PCs?

I posted this same query about 6 months ago, and the responses I received
didn't offer any other strong possibilities.  Sigh.  Consider this my
summary to the net :-)
					Bart Massey
					..tektronix!videovax.tek.com!bart
					..tektronix!reed.bitnet!bart

romkey@asylum.SF.CA.US (John Romkey) (04/19/89)

In article <14940@pollux.UUCP> hayes@smu.edu (David Hayes) writes:
> Other than Sun, who produces NFS stuff for PCs?

Two other companies that I know of: FTP Software in Wakefield,
Massachusetts, and Beame & Whiteside, in Canada.
--
			- john romkey
USENET/UUCP: romkey@asylum.sf.ca.us	Internet: romkey@xx.lcs.mit.edu

rdp@pbseps.UUCP (Richard Perlman) (04/19/89)

In article <5409@videovax.tv.Tek.com> bart@videovax.tv.tek.com (Bart Massey) writes:
>In article <14940@pollux.UUCP> hayes@smu.edu (David Hayes) writes:
>> Other than Sun, who produces NFS stuff for PCs?
>
>I posted this same query about 6 months ago, and the responses I received
>didn't offer any other strong possibilities.  Sigh.  Consider this my
>summary to the net :-)
>					Bart Massey
>					..tektronix!videovax.tek.com!bart
>					..tektronix!reed.bitnet!bart

Hope this isn't too late, but I just found this out myself.  A
company called Beame & Whiteside in Canada sells an
implementation of NFS for the PC.  It supposedly runs in only
40k, although I have not had the opportunity to verify that.

They also sell a 2 versions of Telnet that allow standard comm
programs which expect the COM port to use telnet/ethernet
instead.  One version (~$150 works via interupt 14, the other
(~$225) uses a loop back plug on COMn: and works with virtualy
any asynch program.

I seem to recall the PC-NFS as being about $225 with good
discounts (30% for 20 copies and gets much, much better).

You can call the office at (416) 648-6556 or you can reach Carl
Beame c/o McMaster University at (416) 525-9140 x4025.

Nothing to disclaim!

--
Richard Perlman * pbseps!rdp@PacBell.COM || {ames,sun,att}!pacbell!pbseps!rdp
180 New Montgomery St. rm 602,  San Francisco, CA  94105  |*| 1(415) 545-0233

adyer@wyse.wyse.com (Andrew Dyer x1532) (05/03/89)

I would like to get the addresses of the vendors producing gateways
between Pc-NFS and Novell Netware. I believe several were mentioned
a while ago, but we don't have the post here anymore. All pointers
would be appreciated.