[comp.protocols.nfs] PC/NFS and DOS 4.0

lyle@sjuvax.UUCP (Wayne J. Lyle) (06/02/89)

	I am wondering is anyone has successfully installed PC-NFS
version 3.0 on a machine running PC-DOS 4.0?  Everything seems to go
ok until I try to use one of the network resources (mounted drives and
printers) at which point I get a message that says something like "DOS
INT 24" and then the infamous "Abort, Retry or Fail" message comes up.
Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

Wayne Lyle

Wayne J. Lyle  				    St. Joseph's University
Academic Computing                          Philadelphia, Pa 19131
lyle@sjuvax.UUCP, lyle@sju.edu.CSNET

craig@com2serv.C2S.MN.ORG (Craig S. Wilson) (06/03/89)

In article <2096@sjuvax.UUCP> lyle@sjuvax.UUCP (Wayne J. Lyle) writes:

>	I am wondering is anyone has successfully installed PC-NFS
>version 3.0 on a machine running PC-DOS 4.0?  Everything seems to go
>ok until I try to use one of the network resources (mounted drives and
>printers) at which point I get a message that says something like "DOS
>INT 24" and then the infamous "Abort, Retry or Fail" message comes up.
>Any ideas?

I am running PC-NFS 3.0 on DOS 4.0 and am looking for the time to
revert back to DOS 3.3.  Unfortunately, DOS 4.0 appears to have some
differences from previous levels in the disk device area.  Whenever I
do a DOS 'dir' on a mounted directory, I get an "Invalid DOS Function"
message at the end of the output.  I also cannot use DOS 'copy' or
'xcopy' commands successfully.  If I run a program which opens and
reads a file off of a mounted directory, everything seems to work
okay.  I went to DOS 4.0 because of the DOS ability to have a
partition greater than 32MB, but I am sorry that I did.

On another note, we currently have a 3/260-HM, 3/280Server, 3/60Server,
3/50, 2-UNISYS 5000/50's, and a Convergent S/80 along with about 20-25
PC' using PC-NFS 3.0 in our network.  There is a QUME scripten laser
printer hung off of the 3/260.  I have no problem getting my stuff to
print from Lotus Manuscript to the QUME looking like an Apple-style
printer.  I have even sent graph output from Borland's Quattro
spreadsheet to the printer.  The PC's also can access all of the other
servers okay. (I don't have NFS on the 5000/50's, tho)

We do have the spooler check each print file for a Postscript file
format, however.  If it doesn't see Postscript looking commands, it
will run the file through a formatter.  This is to prevent PC's from
sending raw text files to the Postscript printer.

My questions about PC-NFS:

	1) Does anyone know of a driver for the Excelan 205T ethernet
	card?

	2) What is the possibility of getting a version of the PC-NFS
	Programmer's toolkit compatible with Turbo C?

That's my two-cents worth.
/craig

Craig S. Wilson           | The user is the |{amdahl|hpda}!bungia!com50!craig
Com Squared Systems, Inc. | computer is the |craig@c2s.mn.org
2520 Pilot Knob Road      | network  is the |(612) 452-9522 voice
Mendota Heights  MN  55120| connector is... |(612) 452-3607 fax

geoff@hinode.east.sun.com (Geoff Arnold @ Sun ECD - R.H. coast near the top) (06/04/89)

In article <2096@sjuvax.UUCP> lyle@sjuvax.UUCP (Wayne J. Lyle) writes:

>	I am wondering is anyone has successfully installed PC-NFS
>version 3.0 on a machine running PC-DOS 4.0?

DOS 4.0 introduced a couple of new system calls which are used by standard
utilities such as COPY, XCOPY, COMMAND.COM, etc. Obviously the
redirector in PC-NFS had to be modified to grok these calls. The problem is
resolved in PC-NFS 3.0.1: see the forthcoming comp.newprod posting
for details.
Geoff Arnold,                              Internet: garnold@sun.com
Manager, PC-NFS Engineering                UUCP: ....!sun!garnold
PCDS Group, Sun Microsystems Inc.
"A disclaimer? Sure, at that price you can have half a dozen of 'em."