[comp.protocols.nfs] DOS Network Programs on PC-NFS

NU136715@NDSUVM1.BITNET (Tim Preuss) (06/24/89)

   Is anyone running something like Word Perfect Lan version and/or
Framework III Lan version running with NFS networks? We're considering
using NFS in our public networks and would appreciate any information.

   I'd also be interested in hearing how executable files are protected from
copying. I really don't want everyone to have their own copy of everything on
our public servers.

Tim Preuss                         nu136715@vm1.NoDak.edu
North Dakota State University      nu136715@ndsuvm1.bitnet
Academic User Services

angelini@irisa.irisa.fr (Pierre Antoine Angelini) (06/26/89)

In article <2440NU136715@NDSUVM1>, NU136715@NDSUVM1.BITNET (Tim Preuss) writes:

>    Is anyone running something like Word Perfect Lan version and/or
> Framework III Lan version running with NFS networks? We're considering
> using NFS in our public networks and would appreciate any information.
>
>    I'd also be interested in hearing how executable files are protected from
> copying. I really don't want everyone to have their own copy of everything on
> our public servers.
>
> Tim Preuss                         nu136715@vm1.NoDak.edu
> North Dakota State University      nu136715@ndsuvm1.bitnet
> Academic User Services

I don't use FW III or Word Perfect on my PCNFS lan, but :
If you plan to use FW III on an NFS server , you might have the following problems:
1- Fw III require a netbios compatible network to handle properly concurrent file access ( if you plan to share data file (with write acces ) between several users, you will loose datas). PCNFS(up to version 3.0) isn't netbios compatible.
2- I don't know the way FWIII is sold in the US , but in France, FWII was copy  protected and the scheme used didn't allow us to install the soft on a networked drive. So we had to use the master disk to launch FWII.
There are some probabilities that FWIII has the same limitations, for PCNFS      isn't supported.

Protecting Files :

I didn't find a good way to avoid sofwares copy from users. PCNFS handles r-x
rights in the same way.
But, if you set the file(or directory) to r-sr-xr-x (assuming you are the owner)it will become invisible to DOS and still executable.
That won't be efficient under Norton Utilities and some others, but it's better than nothing.