[comp.protocols.nfs] need NFS server for IBM PC

lim@isl.Stanford.EDU (Kelvin O. Lim) (07/24/89)

I have an IBM AT that has a Fujitsu Eagle SMD drive attached to it ( >330MB).
We use it to store large amounts of data acquired by the AT.  The AT is
attached to our unix hosts via ethernet.  We would like to be able to access
the files ( using fopen, fread, etc. ) from our unix hosts, as if the AT
were another NFS  volume.  Unfortunately PC-NFS from Sun
does not provide this facility, only allowing the PC to access Unix hosts.
FTP is not a solution because we wish to read the files on the AT
attached disk, not transfer them to the Unix host.

Any leads would be greatly appreciated.  I underand there is someone
at LBL who worked on this problem - S. Tan?

Thanks,
Kelvin O. Lim
lim@isl.stanford.edu

tr@pcharming.ctt.bellcore.com (tom reingold) (07/25/89)

$
$ Any leads would be greatly appreciated.  I underand there is someone
$ at LBL who worked on this problem - S. Tan?

There were some server programs mentioned here only recently.  I hope
those who posted info on them will do so again.  My comments:

Sun strongly recommends that servers be of equal or greater "power"
than that of the clients.  This makes a lot of sense.  Unix clients of
the PC files will kill the server, drawing the files so fast.  (I
assume your Unix machines are faster than an AT.)  So what you want to
do is possible (since I read the news on PC server programs), but you
may not be happy with the performance.

Tom Reingold                   |INTERNET:       tr@ctt.bellcore.com
Bell Communications Research   |UUCP:           bellcore!ctt!tr
444 Hoes La room 1H217         |PHONE:          (201) 699-7058 [work],
Piscataway, NJ 08854           |                (201) 287-2345 [home]

sharon@asylum.SF.CA.US (Sharon Fisher) (07/26/89)

There's a company in Canada -- Bearn-White, or something euphonious
like that -- that has a PC NFS server.  They are the only ones I know
of.

--
"Inanna spoke:
	My vulva, the horn, the Boat of Heaven, is full of eagerness like

geoff@hinode.East.Sun.COM (Geoff Arnold @ Sun BOS - R.H. coast near the top) (07/27/89)

In article <3092@asylum.SF.CA.US> sharon@asylum.UUCP (Sharon Fisher) writes:
>There's a company in Canada -- Bearn-White, or something euphonious
>like that -- that has a PC NFS server.  They are the only ones I know
>of.

Time for a repost, I guess:
From decvax!decwrl!ucbvax!agate!helios.ee.lbl.gov!lbl-csam.arpa!stan Fri Mar 10
16:21:31 EST 1989
Newsgroups: comp.protocols.tcp-ip.ibmpc,comp.protocols.nfs
Subject: SOS: A NFS server for the PC
Date: 5 Mar 89 21:00:09 GMT
Sender: usenet@helios.ee.lbl.gov

Hello everyone, if you may recall, I first posted about the NFS server
for the PC in August of '88.  We have been trying to get it released
all this time, and finally some good news:

Sun Microsystems has (through the good office of Geoff Arnold of the
PC-NFS group) given us permission to put the NFS server we developed
into the public domain.

The old version works with the Excelan package;  the current one works
on top of PC-NFS.  It should be easily portable to run on top of other
TCP/IP implementations.  Both Suns and PC's may mount filesystems on
this PC server (+ any other that runs NFS, of course).

It will be available via anonymous ftp from this host (lbl-csam.arpa) in
the /pub directory as "sos.tar.Z".  It includes nearly 10k lines of
source (server and RPC/XDR code) and makefiles, with documentation and
an executable.  We are going to put some copyright notices in the code,
gain the blessings of the Laboratory legal people, and put it out late
Monday afternoon (3/6).

Unfortunately, it is much too large to send over mail.

I realize that some people cannot ftp, and therefore would appreciate any
help anyone can give in distributing it.  If you wish to put the server
up for distribution on your host, please feel free to do so.

I also know that the code can be improved in many ways - if you make
an improvement, I'd sure like to hear about it, and probably so would
any other people using it.  Enjoy!

---
stan@lbl-csam.arpa              ..!lbl-csam.arpa!stan
stan@cory.berkeley.edu          stan@csam.lbl.gov

Computer Science Research Department,
Lawrence Berkeley Laboratory
---

>--
>"Inanna spoke:
>	My vulva, the horn, the Boat of Heaven, is full of eagerness like
>the young moon. My untilled land lies fallow.  As for me, Inanna, who will
>plow my vulva? Who will plow my high field? Who will plow my wet ground?"
>					Inanna: Queen of Heaven and Earth
>					Her Stories and Hymns from Sumer

Sharon: great .signature, do you have a reference for a good
published version of the Sumer mythology? Preferably a reasonably-
priced paperback, if that isn't an oxymoron....

Geoff

Geoff Arnold,                              Internet: garnold@sun.com
Manager, PC-NFS Engineering                UUCP: ....!sun!garnold
PCDS Group, Sun Microsystems Inc.