[comp.protocols.nfs] PC-NFS toolkit and Turbo-C?

geertj@philica.ica.philips.nl (Geert Jan de Groot) (09/01/89)

Hi,

I am working on a small project, written in Turbo-C, and would like to
add TCP/IP connectivity to it. I decided to give SUN's PC-NFS a try,
using their programmer's toolkit.
Unfortunately, this toolkit is only available for Microsoft-C. I tried
to link it with Turbo-C anyway, but that doesn't work: tlink gives
'libh.lib: unable to open file'.

When I copied libh.lib from the microsoft C compiler kit (version 4.00),
I get: '(music symbol): unable to open file'.

Does anyone have experience with this? Has anyone succeeded this?
Is it possible to patch the library somehow? Tips, hints, anything?

I will post a summary if I find a working solution.

Thanks,
Geert Jan

--8<--nip-nip---------------------------------------------------------------

Geert Jan de Groot,			Email: geertj@ica.philips.nl
Philips Innovations Centre Aachen,	       ..!mcvax!philica!geertj
Room T-214,				Ham: PE1HZG
Weisshausstrasse,
5100 Aachen, West-Germany		"MS-DOS is just a bootstrap" - me
phone: +49 241 6003 714			[Standard disclaimers apply]

craig@com2serv.C2S.MN.ORG (Craig S. Wilson) (09/05/89)

In article <116@philica.ica.philips.nl> geertj@ica.philips.nl (Geert Jan de Groot) writes:
>Hi,
>
>I am working on a small project, written in Turbo-C, and would like to
>add TCP/IP connectivity to it. I decided to give SUN's PC-NFS a try,
>using their programmer's toolkit.
>Unfortunately, this toolkit is only available for Microsoft-C. I tried
>to link it with Turbo-C anyway, but that doesn't work: tlink gives
>'libh.lib: unable to open file'.
>
>Thanks,
>Geert Jan

I also am very interested in getting a copy of the Toolkit that will
easily link with Turbo C.  In the meantime, we have written a
"lead-in" program in Microsoft C which sets up a software interrupt
vector and then spawns the program specified on the command line.  One
has to be cognizant of stack usage in the various programs, but
otherwise this method works.

It is a kludge, however, and a better way would be to have a Turbo C
version of the PC-NFS library.

/craig

P.S. I tried sending a similar request to Mr. Arnold using the path in
his messages, but it bounced.

Craig S. Wilson           |    This space     |{amdahl|hpda}!bungia!com50!craig
Com Squared Systems, Inc  |   intentionally   |craig@c2s.mn.org
2520 Pilot Knob Road      |    left blank.    |(612) 452-9522 voice
Mendota Heights MN 55120  |                   |(612) 452-3607 fax

geoff@hinode.East.Sun.COM (Geoff Arnold @ Sun BOS - R.H. coast near the top) (09/06/89)

In article <2535@com50.C2S.MN.ORG> craig@com2serv.c2s.mn.org (Craig S. Wilson) writes:
>P.S. I tried sending a similar request to Mr. Arnold using the path in
>his messages, but it bounced.

Do you mean "geoff@East.Sun.COM" or "geoff@hinode.East.Sun.COM"? Our
newsreader insists on plugging my nodename into the "Reply-To" path, which
causes some mailers to complain. Normally I edit it out, as I did here,
but I confess that I occasionally forget.

[If "geoff@East.Sun.COM" doesn't work, try "garnold@sun.com", and send me
the mailer-daemon output to show to Bill Nowicki et al.]

We recognize that Turbo C is important, as are MSC 5.1 (soon 6.0) and
Watcom C. Stay tuned.

Geoff

Geoff Arnold,                              Internet: geoff@East.Sun.COM
PCDS Group, Sun Microsystems Inc.
Most bizarre title of the week: "LAN Standards - Do you Need Them?" (in BYTE)

@alzabo.uucp (09/08/89)

geertj@philica.ica.philips.nl (Geert Jan de Groot) writes:

>Hi,

>Unfortunately, this toolkit is only available for Microsoft-C. I tried
>to link it with Turbo-C anyway, but that doesn't work: tlink gives
>'libh.lib: unable to open file'.

	Try linking with the Microsoft Linker.  Sometimes the Microsoft C
object files contain strange things that only their linker can handle.

--
				Sincerely Yours
				Tris Orendorff