[comp.protocols.nfs] PC/NFS destroys files ??

freiss@nixpbe.UUCP (Martin Freiss) (09/15/89)

Hi,
we have problems with PC/NFS. All of our PC's lose data or get garbled
packets from time to time - we don't even get an errormessage when this
happens. I already lost some sources this way; sometimes chunks right
in the middle of a file are missing, sometimes the file gets partly
garbled.

Is anybody out there who has the same problems and/or has some pointers
on what is going on here?
I think (vague idea) that the frequency of errors correlates with the
load on our ethernet, I never have problems in the evening or early in
the morning when the network load is low.

NFS links between our hosts work ok, so my guess is that it's the PC
who is the culprit.

Configuration:
 PC with SUN PC/NFS 3.0.1, DOS 3.3, WD8003E board

Host:
 Nixdorf Targon/35 and Nixdorf Targon/31

Any & all help is appreciated. Thanks!

-Martin

--
 Martin Freiss        UUCP:   USA: ..!uunet!philabs!linus!nixbur!freiss.pad
 Nixdorf Computer AG         !USA: ..!mcvax!unido!nixpbe!freiss.pad

geoff@hinode.East.Sun.COM (Geoff Arnold @ Sun BOS - R.H. coast near the top) (09/28/89)

In article <523@nixpbe.UUCP> freiss@nixpbe.UUCP (Martin Freiss) writes:

>Hi,
>we have problems with PC/NFS. All of our PC's lose data or get garbled
>packets from time to time - we don't even get an errormessage when this
>happens.
>[...]
>Configuration:
> PC with SUN PC/NFS 3.0.1, DOS 3.3, WD8003E board

This looks like the same problem that Bob Clements mentioned in
<46100@bbn.COM>, "Ethernet cards, PC/NFS, DS8390".  As he suggests, you
may want to check the rev code on the DS8390 chip on the WD8003E. (Bob
had trouble with rev 8742C4, fixzed with rev 8824.) I'll follow this up
myself.

Geoff

Geoff Arnold,                              Internet: geoff@East.Sun.COM
PCDS Group, Sun Microsystems Inc.
I love standards: de facto, de jure, de gustibus, de lusionary, de credo...